Another Teapot - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Other Things We Make
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Other Things We Make Show off your bowls, stoppers, flatwork, etc.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 161

Default Another Teapot

Multi axes teapot, holly. This is my second teapot and my first time working with holly and turning and bending handles. The lower body of the teapot is a single piece and was made by a combination of turning on multi-axes and carving. I did not bleach the holly and the natural finish gives the piece an aged appearance.

b8e4a214-d99b-4ef9-b14e-fe3b37921d64.jpg

e257bdbe-8e52-48e0-8781-94761bb9597f.jpg

d5873bf0-3d0c-4716-9c00-a8d873a794f3.jpg
Cwalker935 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 49

And I knew you before you were good. Very nice indeed.

BRobbins629 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-13-2018, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Thumbs up

WOW!! Turn Cody, Turn!

Michael Gibson should be getting worried
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 227

That is very very cool. I think I could understand how it could be held if the pot was perfectly spherical, but I am completely stumped how you could do that organic shape and still have the spout.....
It is going to give me nightmares figuring it out. THANKS !!
Old 07-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRobbins629 View Post
And I knew you before you were good. Very nice indeed.
Hey thatís high praise from one of my mentors!
Old 07-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_W View Post
WOW!! Turn Cody, Turn!

Michael Gibson should be getting worried
Thanks for throwing out his name, I was not familiar with his work until I looked him up. He certainly does some beautiful stuff. His approach seems fundamentally different than what I did but prompts some ideas.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiprat View Post
That is very very cool. I think I could understand how it could be held if the pot was perfectly spherical, but I am completely stumped how you could do that organic shape and still have the spout.....
It is going to give me nightmares figuring it out. THANKS !!
Thanks. I started out with a spherical shape in mind but kinda got diverted along the way. I plan on doing a spherical shape which I think will provide for a handle as well.

71ce8df2-13f7-462f-8823-eebf89daa574.jpeg

098166ad-b668-417d-a0d5-91fa9cb3e05b.jpeg

2c3a596c-7e88-4eac-b6d2-d239928e8a6f.jpeg

9d6da64c-0fc0-4320-8dd7-437b5771a4dc.jpeg

f69f5ce7-9d99-449d-91e6-f2e6fbd774de.jpeg
Old 07-13-2018, 06:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Impressive, Cody.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-14-2018, 08:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Thanks for the picture sequence! It helped my mind's eye to get the order correctly as I kept trying to visualize it!

I like the hand turned tea pots and you taught me something new on the first one - the metallic paint. That was totally new to me. THANKS for posting!

Cody, I have worked with engineers of different "flavors" before, and most of them were great at what they did. However, most did what they were taught (and were taught well) but they didn't all have the "mind's eye" creativity to imagine or "see" sequence of events such as this - which is what I thought all engineers did when I was a kid! Your work is inspiring!

ADD-IN: Cody, do you have a "donut" type of center? I was wondering how you would achieve your next tea pot and making it more spherical. A soft donut type of drive center and live center might/would allow a multiplicity of postions. If this is not what you were envisioning, I can't wait to see what you had in mind!

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Last edited by leehljp; 07-14-2018 at 09:09 AM.
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-14-2018, 09:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehljp View Post
Thanks for the picture sequence! It helped my mind's eye to get the order correctly as I kept trying to visualize it!

I like the hand turned tea pots and you taught me something new on the first one - the metallic paint. That was totally new to me. THANKS for posting!

Cody, I have worked with engineers of different "flavors" before, and most of them were great at what they did. However, most did what they were taught (and were taught well) but they didn't all have the "mind's eye" creativity to imagine or "see" sequence of events such as this - which is what I thought all engineers did when I was a kid! Your work is inspiring!

ADD-IN: Cody, do you have a "donut" type of center? I was wondering how you would achieve your next tea pot and making it more spherical. A soft donut type of drive center and live center might/would allow a multiplicity of postions. If this is not what you were envisioning, I can't wait to see what you had in mind!

I do not have a donut center, I might need to look into that. I usually end up with some amount of hand work- carving and sanding. This one required more than I would have liked due to its shape.

As a kid I enjoyed drawing and crafting stuff. I also had something of a mathematical thought process. I am not great at either one but had enough to get my engineering degree and to be be a little creative. My dad only had a GED but could fix anything with a hammer, coat hanger and duct tape. He taught me how to see simpler solutions.

I have known some brilliant engineers that were lost when trying to apply their knowledge. My father-in-law was a mechanic engineer but could not change a light bulb. I once had to help an electrical engineer install a car stereo, he was making it way too complicated.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads