Another Knife

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from EBorraga

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I recently went to Northern Michigan and spent a week with a Blacksmith and two knife makers. This knife was forged by me from a piece of 1095 steel. The scales came from RockB. The finish is Tru-Oil. I still need to let the finish dry and then buff, but I think it came out pretty good for my second knife.

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 254
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 204
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 251
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 250
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

That's awesome! I have a couple of forged blades I need to finish one of these day. Of course, I need to get a forge of my own running for the heat treating. Here's my first and only knife I have finished. Stock removal from a bar of .25" 1084, heated to non-magnetic and quenched in peanut oil, then oven tempered. Slabs are walnut with a CA finish and pins are brass. The concept was a pocket Bowie. It's pretty much a sharpened pry bar. Will shave hair, but it so thick it won't cut all that well.

Last edited:

mecompco

I DO love the shape of that knife! What did you use for a belt grinder? Blade making is so much easier with a professional variable speed grinder that you can swap wheels on. My biggest challenge is working with a little 36" that turns at 3250--one can do lots of damage very quickly with that! Can't wait to see your next one!

Regards,
Michael

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I DO love the shape of that knife! What did you use for a belt grinder? Blade making is so much easier with a professional variable speed grinder that you can swap wheels on. My biggest challenge is working with a little 36" that turns at 3250--one can do lots of damage very quickly with that! Can't wait to see your next one!

Regards,
Michael

I was lucky as he has a variable speed 2x72 Bader. That thing is a Cadillac compared to my 1x30. I can't justify spending $2000.00 on one, but I may attempt to make my own 2x72. I figure I can make it for around $800.00 with a 2hp motor and variable speed controller. I just need to finish my garage and then i'll have time to work on it

mecompco

I here ya'! I've got a HF 1x30 and a Craftsman 2x36 (currently next to my lathe doing sharpening duty). I got to use a Bader at a hammer-in a few years back--absolutely amazing! Have you looked into the "no weld" grinders? That's kinda what I'm thinking about.

Top Bottom