Another hobby....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi all, between work and life, I don't get much play time anymore. :frown: So I figured I'd try a new 'quickie' hobby. Making rings from old coins.

Here are my very first attempts, all demonetised ( no longer in circulation ) British coins. A Fifty Pence, a One Shilling and a Two Shilling. I think the 50p may perhaps be illegal....the rules on British coin defacing are a bit ambiguous, so I'll stick to safer much older coins in future. :wink:

Fun to make and the tool cost investment doesn't break the bank. Google / You Tube 'Jasons Works' or 'Coins You Can Wear'.

The 50P has a high polish, but I left a bit of the patina from the annealing process on the outside of the Shillings as this makes the image stand out more.

Once I get better, I'll make my own tooling to make pen centre bands etc. The commercially available gadgets don't go small enough ( or I haven't found them )

Hope you like:biggrin:

:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCF3431.jpg
    DSCF3431.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 474
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Anglesachse

Nice one Skip, used to do this myself.
Always tried to use Pre-1948 Two Shillings as they had a higher silver content and were easier to work.
I used to rotate and hammer round and round until the wording was on the inside and then drill it out and polish the blank outside. As you can see from the Photo (example, not mine)
I had a small anvil made out of a piece of British Rail train track to hammer on.:biggrin:

Attachments

• il_570xN.1484850545_1tyz.jpg
    il_570xN.1484850545_1tyz.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 296

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have been looking at posts on turning coins into rings for the past year. I have a ring sizer but I am not to the point of making any just yet.

I am also looking at making a small shop forge for other metal forming.

Thanks for posting that. Looks GREAT!

JohnU

Those look great!! I think I watched almost every youtube video out there on making these and still haven't bought the tools to try. Something else on my "to try" list after retirement. I'm waiting to see you make one for a pen center band on a custom Skiprat masterpiece. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

thewishman

Awesome! A friend made a couple for me and they are treasures. Ever since, I have been wanting to make nib sections, finials and centerbands. They are one one of my nearly infinite to-do lists.

WIDirt

My Sister-in-Law's boyfriend does this. He made 2 Wisconsin State quarter rings, one for my wife, and one for my son. For me, he used an 1894 silver dollar! Gorgeous rings, all, but they are too large to wear on a regular basis! My silver dollar ring still weighs in at almost an ounce, having had only a 5/16 hole punched out to start the process.

I watched him make all three rings in about an hour and a half!

They ARE nice.

D.Oliver

You strike me as one of those people who are good at everything they do! Those rings look like the work of a seasoned pro.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks for all the kind comments. :biggrin:

Mark, ( Ligget) you should give this a go, my friend...I reckon it's right up your street. :wink:

Woodchipper

Very nice and a unique project. Just my two cents worth, or two shillings worth.
It is said in the USA that it costs more to mint a penny than its face value.

PenPal

Our pennys ceased in the 1960,s with decimal currency,thankfully from the mint you can still by year by year,commemorative, ones from the mint in Canberra ,very handy.

Peter..

Top Bottom