American Poplar - Fruit Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OZturner

OZturner

Several years ago, our Wood Turners Group, took a trip to a nearby Tree Farm, where the Owner was prepared to slab to our requirements several trees that he had recently felled.

The Tree farm was primarily used by a group of Rocking Horse Manufacturers, as a source for their raw materials Namely American Poplar.
I took my piece out of a 16" wide by 4" thick slab.

It was so wet that the water and sap virtually ran out as I lifted it up, to put into the Trunk of my Car.

It sat in my workshop for approximately 9 years.

Beautiful to turn, not hard on the Tools, but it did have some slight splitting around the area where I was undercutting the Top Edge, so on with the CA, but regrettably on such a light coloured Timber, the CA left a mark that I couldn't remove.

The Finish is a Bee's Wax, over a Light Lacquered Undercoat

Comments and Critiques Welcome
Brian.

Attachments

• Fruit Bowl 1.jpg
    Fruit Bowl 1.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 139
  • Fruit Bowl 2.jpg
    Fruit Bowl 2.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Fruit Bowl Base.jpg
    Fruit Bowl Base.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 165
  • Fruit Bowl Diameter.jpg
    Fruit Bowl Diameter.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 160
  • Fruit Bowl Height.jpg
    Fruit Bowl Height.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 156
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RKB

Very nice bowl. Really great proportions and simple design. Your makers mark is awesome, love the hand lettering. :biggrin:

Rod

OZturner

Many thanks for the Kind Comments, Gordon, William and Rod.
Much appreciated, as is the Words of Wisdom from William for preventing the CA Stain.
I must give it a Try.
Kindest regards,
Brian.

Gary Beasley

If you ever try to turn that stuff green you need shower curtains all around, it slings sap everywhere and smells like soap. I had to wash my faceshield off pretty often to see.

OZturner

If you ever try to turn that stuff green you need shower curtains all around, it slings sap everywhere and smells like soap. I had to wash my faceshield off pretty often to see.

Garry, I believe the mess it would make turned Green..
Even though it was 9 years ago, I can still recall vividly the mess I was in after carrying it to my Car, with both hands, and it resting against my lower stomach area.
Our group on our way home, went to a beautiful old Hotel, for some liquid refreshments, and something to eat, and me with the front of my trousers ringing wet with the water and sap.
Most Embarrassing.
Kind regards,
Brian

Top Bottom