Algerita root burl vase

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from triw51

triw51

Sometimes you are in the right place at the right time. I saw a construction crew clearing off a lot of mesquite and asked the foreman if I could have some of the wood. He gave me the go ahead and even had his crew make smaller piles for ease of getting to the wood. While gathering mesquite root balls and crotches I found a few smaller root balls I was not sure what they were but threw them in the back of the truck. It turns out those little root balls were algerita roots. I turned this one into a vase trying to leave a natural edge at the top. The burl is full of holes so I made a base out of black walnut. The yellow color is natural, the based is rubbed was while the vase is finished with lacquer.
Comments and Critics welcome

Attachments

• aaalgerita1.jpg
    aaalgerita1.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 271
  • aaalgerita2.jpg
    aaalgerita2.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 209
  • aaalgerita3.jpg
    aaalgerita3.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 203
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Wow! That is a really a great vase William!

I am surprised it didn't come apart. Did you wrap it or add a hose clamp while turning the inside?

triw51

Wow! That is a really a great vase William!

I am surprised it didn't come apart. Did you wrap it or add a hose clamp while turning the inside?

After I turned the outside and saw the holes and voids I wrapped it in masking tape (the kind with string in it) I did not want it to fly apart.

"That is very nice, great job. How big is it?"
approx. 9" tall with base and just under 4.5" wide

Top Bottom