Acorn ornaments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from The Falcons Quill

I tried making these back when I first started turning, and they were a disaster. I learned Having the right setup is really important.

I was trying to find a cheap project to sell with my pens at shows. Using scraps from pens, free acorn tops, and a little friction polish. Only thing I had to buy was the eye hooks.

Still trying to come up with pricing for them, the wife thinks $5 each and 5 for $20 would get them selling at the show for add ons to pen purchases.

Suggestions and comments are welcome

Attachments

• IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0883.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 219
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Your wife is probably ball park, but I would price them a $7.50 and sell them with a pen for $5.

Hollowed, with a perch and a bird, about 3 times that.

Should sell well

(I like to use a loop of 10 pound fly fishing leader rather than a screw eye)

Your wife is probably ball park, but I would price them a $7.50 and sell them with a pen for $5.

Hollowed, with a perch and a bird, about 3 times that.

Should sell well

(I like to use a loop of 10 pound fly fishing leader rather than a screw eye)

Hmm... I like the pricing idea. We may have to try that at one show and the other at the next. We compare which had a better sales run.

I looked at those little birds and thought of making them more like bird houses. I was worried with the acorn being life size and maybe only an inch sticking out, I was afraid the birds would dwarf the nut. I'll have to see if I can find bigger caps and do some of those next time.

MDWine

I looked at those little birds and thought of making them more like bird houses. I was worried with the acorn being life size and maybe only an inch sticking out, I was afraid the birds would dwarf the nut. I'll have to see if I can find bigger caps and do some of those next time.

I have a hankerin' to do those little birdhouses too. I spent the better part of the day Saturday looking for those little birds. I think I can saw with some degree of confidence that you'll have a hard time finding birdies THAT small... I certainly didn't!!

I did find the size I needed, and these were the smallest I could find!

I like your version, with real caps, but I really love those little birdhouses.

Good luck findin what you need. I hope you fare better than I!

mike4066

I like them! I may have to make some for x-mas.

Could you drill through the cap and have the thread coming through instead of an eyelet? I think the eyelet distracts a bit from the piece.

gimpy

I tried making these back when I first started turning, and they were a disaster. I learned Having the right setup is really important.

I was trying to find a cheap project to sell with my pens at shows. Using scraps from pens, free acorn tops, and a little friction polish. Only thing I had to buy was the eye hooks.

Still trying to come up with pricing for them, the wife thinks $5 each and 5 for $20 would get them selling at the show for add ons to pen purchases.

Suggestions and comments are welcome

Those are awesome, and the pricing seems to be fair.....

Top Bottom