3 winged segmented hollow form a.k.a.glorified pen cup

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Lynch

Dale Lynch

What a pain in the butt to build.Could be because I used what I had insted of the proper tools. or because it's just difficult, lets go with the latter.It consists of 120 pieces of walnut,maple,and redwood.Turns out not to be a good combination because the redwood sanded soo much faster,you can feel every dip.As far as looks and color I think it's great.

Q and C welcome,I'm all ears on how to improve the design allthough I'll wait to do another one till I get a tablesaw and planer.The bandsaw, disc sander, handplane method is way too much work.

Attachments

• DSCF2835.jpg
    DSCF2835.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCF2836.jpg
    DSCF2836.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCF2837.jpg
    DSCF2837.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCF2839.jpg
    DSCF2839.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 187
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

triw51

WOW That is beautiful work I stand in amazement when I see all the pieces and how they come together. I have a box of 1/2" square pieces in different lengths I have wanted to glue together and try something like that but not sure how I want it to look so still there

Dale Lynch

Thanks fellas,I'm glad you like it.The hardest part was building the cube to begin with.I originally wanted it to be an 8" cube but I ran out of timber so I ended up with a 5" cube.Ripping the pieces on the bandsaw first didn't yield me any flat sides,turns out the table isn't flat.When one side of the table is squared to the blade,the other side is off about 2 degrees.Didn't figure that out till I was all done ripping all the maple I had which I did last ofcourse.Then I cut my crooked pieces to length with the RAS at 8", that is where I realized I did not have enough to make the size I wanted.After that was all done it was off to the disc sander, all 100 plus pieces.Dusty to say the least.The glue up was next,All I had to use was a 4" drill press vise and a pair of 6" wood clamps.6 pieces at a time for a total of 20 sections.Then I had to borrow a pair of bar clamps from my Hapkido instructor to glue the sections together in pairs which ended up making ten 12 piece slabs,crooked of course.Now what am I gonna do?I grabbed the only tool I coud think of which is an 18" smoothing plane.Clamped the slabs one at a time to a table planing the high spot down 1/2 the slab at a time, flipping it over and repeating till they were close enough to take back to the disc sander.After all that I was then able to stack and glue the 10 slabs together.Last of all it was another trip to the band saw to cut some resemblance of a cube out out of it.Alot of waste I had to cut off.Turning was easy,I just kinda followed a design I found on woodturning online.

The hollowform was easy,the cube building was swear worthy.

Top Bottom