#22 - A very challenging pipe to make

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bobostro61

Bobostro61

The block of briar on this pipe was absolutely FULL of pits. The more I sanded the more pits came in to view. I wasn't sure if I'd get a decent pipe out of it. I dyed it with Fiebing's Mahogany. The square shank was a challenge in itself. All in all I'm happy with the results.

Attachments

• IMG_1420.jpg
    IMG_1420.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1433.jpg
    IMG_1433.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_1435.jpg
    IMG_1435.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_1438.jpg
    IMG_1438.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1431.jpg
    IMG_1431.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 232
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janster

Very nice Bob. ??? Would a thin, brass,copper, or aluminum piece twixt the bowl and the stem to give it a more "flush" tranistion twixt the two woods? Be well...................Jan

Hendu3270

Nice looking Rhodesian Bob. I have a Bjarne that looks very similar to this one. Well done!

I love working with wood that has voids within it. It lets your creativity flow with how you handle them. That being said, not sure how the voids and little cracks that join some of them will handle the heat. Voids in a pen blank or bowl/vase blanks are awesome......voids in a pipe bowl, just might spell disaster.

Last edited:

hazmat74

Bob... how long have you been making pipes? I've made several but have wandered away from it a bit due to a) cost of ebonite for stems and b) lack of shop space up until a couple of months ago. I have a bit of interest in starting again so it was nice to poke into this forum and see your work. It looks very nice. That's a very, very difficult shape to get just so. Good job.

Matt

Top Bottom