1st try at a Mason Jar Lid

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bmcclellan

bmcclellan

I thought they idea was neat so I ordered a few things from Penn State and some wood from a seller on Ebay. Granted I should have turned it a little smaller but for the 1st try I think it turned out pretty good. Finish is just Shellawax friction polish. Wood is Red Cedar.

jar1.jpg

jar2.jpg

jar3.jpg

jar4.jpg

jar5.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Those are fun to make... I've made a few for my wife. What did you order from Penn State??... I just use the ring tops you can buy at WalMart and fit them down into the turning...

There was a fellow at the Knoxville Foothills Guild show a couple of years back that had a pile of them on his table at about $7 per.... think he sold out the first day. I tried to make mine sometime after seeing his... definitely fun to make.

Last edited:

bmcclellan

Those are fun to make... I've made a few for my wife. What did you order from Penn State??... I just use the ring tops you can buy at WalMart and fit them down into the turning...

There was a fellow at the Knoxville Foothills Guild show a couple of years back that had a pile of them on his table at about $7 per.... think he sold out the first day. I tried to make mine sometime after seeing his... definitely fun to make.

I ordered the
Expanding Collet Chuck for Mason Jar Lids; 71mm - 1" x 8tpi mount
Item #CXC71MM and the 71mm Forstner Bit
Item #FB71MM

It was fun to do this one. going to have to try a couple more.

monophoto

I'm with Chuck on this one. These are fun to make, and even more fun if you accept the challenge of doing them without having to buy a lot of stuff.

I start with a blank attached to a glue chuck with double-stick tape. I hollow the interior using a bowl gouge and scrapers, sneaking up on both the diameter and depth of the hole. Then, I remount the blank using my 50mm jaws on my scroll chuck, gripping the opening in expansion mode, to turn the outside. As Bobby suggested, it is possible to make the sides too thick - I find 1/8 - 3/16" to be about right. Too thin, and the wood flexes when you open the jar. Finish with a wiping varnish.

My wife buys marinara sauce in quart jars with one-piece lids that are interchangeable with standard mason jar lids. Most of what I have done has been to recycle those. You can also buy plastic mason jar lids at most grocery stores that also work well.

Top Bottom