1st time to use 5 min epoxy...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Phillip Kelley

I glued some spectra-ply in a piece of Osage Orange (Bodark) and turned
a call...so far I haven't got any ducks to respond...This was the first time that I have used any of the 5 min epoxy and am well pleased with how it seems to be holding...the finish is CA.....in hind sight I wished I had left the band off...

Attachments

• Epoxy - Copy.JPG
    Epoxy - Copy.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 326
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Phil. I like the band! But having a matching pair - band/unbanded works also.

I have gotten a lot of use from my 5 minute epoxy, although I do prefer to let it set overnight. I have too many projects to worry about the "set-time." I get things glued-up, work on something else, come back to the glue-up the next day. All is good.

Very nice duck call.

5 minute...

Well, I went back & looked at the package and it actually said 1 minute setting time & full strength in 5 minutes! But, I let it cure overnight before drilling it!
I buy stuff like that @ WM because their products seem to turn over faster than @ our 1 & only hardware store...:)

Very nice...that is 5 minute working time, right? What is the curing time please? Thank you.

TonyL

Thank you. But you used it as a finish, right?

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

farmer

Truth

I glued some spectra-ply in a piece of Osage Orange (Bodark) and turned
a call...so far I haven't got any ducks to respond...This was the first time that I have used any of the 5 min epoxy and am well pleased with how it seems to be holding...the finish is CA.....in hind sight I wished I had left the band off...

The word I got in the Cue makers world is the 5 min epoxy fails after about 5 years .
Please take in consideration that pool cues hit balls and are subject to pressures and vibrations .

But before jumping on either side of if the 5 minute epoxy actually does fail or not .

Understanding how epoxy works and dries is really important .

5 minute epoxy means it has 5 minutes working time .
Then it starts to harden up and drying time is normally 12 hours or more .

The part I don't care about 5 minute epoxy is it viscosity .
When it comes to epoxy I want lowest viscosity of epoxy on the market .
Main reason is I want the epoxy to flow into the water pores of the wood .

Then I want slow drying epoxy like west systems , 1 hour working time and 24 hour set time and sometime 4 to 5 days full cure time .
That means The epoxy has 1 hour to flow into the wood pores VS 5 minutes .
I believe that is extremely important .

From the experience I have using epoxy and certain plastics phenolic melamine , micarta and other man made materials as ferrule material on pool cues epoxy is doesn't bond good enough to with stand the impact .

Personally I use super glue on most all man made materials .
I am not above using rubber cement ..

I thought some of this info might be slightly enlightening.

farmer

Set time

Hi Phil. I like the band! But having a matching pair - band/unbanded works also.

I have gotten a lot of use from my 5 minute epoxy, although I do prefer to let it set overnight. I have too many projects to worry about the "set-time." I get things glued-up, work on something else, come back to the glue-up the next day. All is good.

Very nice duck call.

When doing in lays and segmenting , 5 minute epoxy would set up way to fast for me ..

Top Bottom