1st Game Call

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Buckmark13

Buckmark13

After finishing my first pen, I got my first call completed; it's a buck grunt.*

Would love some feedback on how to improve it. It's a two piece with a tenon, with 2 o rings grooves.

And would love advice on how to get the sound deeper. I thought about adding a tube, but don't like the looks of them as much.* Using my hands to "cup" the end gets it close.*

Have a great weekend everyone!
eb35b8c83bc883132fbf1da7d6da3ef2.jpg
5454967737a82ea92b0cbe8426441f81.jpg
9b3550bccec3c12071845389fcfd8496.jpg
a257499a26c065732742c0340bee55c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kenny Durrant

I think the call looks great. Comments on how to improve. Like I said I truly like the call but something I add to my calls is a short lanyard. For the grunt calls I get the wooden beads from Michael's, a short piece of leather strap and 2 small antler tips about 1-1.5 inches long. I''l loop the leather through a bead to go around the call then drill a hole in the end of the antler to glue them on the ends of the straps. Be sure to loop the strap through the bead before gluing on the antler. Ha Ha. If you know who's getting the call and want to personalize it you can use a Dremel Tool to engrave an initial on each antler tip. I think it really adds to the look for displaying the call. I do the same thing for my duck calls only I use feathers instead of antlers.

dogcatcher

If you are not going to use the plastic extension tube, you need to make the exhaust end longer than the plastic extension tube. The exhaust end is step drilled, part 3/4" and the reed assembly end is 1/2". Or you can use a middle part, like the calls that use the extension tubes.

As already mentioned, the lanyard groove, since the call is a 2 part call, you should have 2 grooves, one on each part. And the lanyard needs to have two loops.

When using an all wood grunt call you also need to use less air pressure, it isn't blown like a duck call. You also have to practice mimicking a real buck's grunt.

A little history of the all wood deer grunt, I was the first that posted one on CCO in about 2007 or 2008. My original ones were made in the 1970's or maybe the 1960's not sure. My reed assembly was also homemade, wide reed, longer toneboard, and other design differences. I originally called it the deer flute, a play off of the goose flute name. The wood toneboard has a better sound than the commercial reed assemblies, but can be closely mimicked if the user drops the air pressure enough. These are my opinions, but I have been a game call maker since 1964.

magpens

However it sounds, ......... it is a very beautiful piece of turning !!!!

What wood is that ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom