1st bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from southernclay

southernclay

Decided to make a bowl last night, 1st attempt and I'm pleased, very light weight, approx. 2" high x 4" diameter. Fortunately the wood was bone dry all the way through so I was able to complete it all in one session. Sanded to 600 with walnut oil and mineral oil finish. Looks almost unfinished in pics but has a nice sheen in person. Wood is unknown to me, I think Padauk but not 100%. This makes me want a set of Cole jaws or something to help clean up the foot a bit. C&C welcome and thanks for looking!
Warren

Attachments

• bowl 3.JPG
    bowl 3.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 182
  • bowl 4.JPG
    bowl 4.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 150
  • bowl 2.JPG
    bowl 2.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 175
  • bowl 1.JPG
    bowl 1.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 216
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eranox

Really nice! I'm waiting to to return home to my unopened new lathe and 4-jaw chuck. This is torturing me!

I'm not sure about the padauk, but I'm no good at that game. In any case, it turned out beautifully! Any experiences to share about turning it? What tools did you use?

Great job on your first. I like the shape. be careful I read that walnut oil will spoil. If you plan to use it there are special food safe finishes available to use.

I think I got mine from Woodcraft.

southernclay

Great job on your first. I like the shape. be careful I read that walnut oil will spoil. If you plan to use it there are special food safe finishes available to use.

I think I got mine from Woodcraft.

Thanks Jim,
I used mineral oil as the last coatings just sanded with walnut oil, not sure if that will make a difference or not, I've enjoyed sanding with walnut oil, got from Doctor's Woodshop. Hoping a wipe down on occasion with mineral oil will keep working, it's the bride's now so will be a good test piece.

southernclay

Really nice! I'm waiting to to return home to my unopened new lathe and 4-jaw chuck. This is torturing me!

I'm not sure about the padauk, but I'm no good at that game. In any case, it turned out beautifully! Any experiences to share about turning it? What tools did you use?

Thanks Dave,
You will love your new setup I'm sure. Are you deployed?

I watched a lot of youtube videos to figure out the tenon and general techniques. I don't have a bowl gouge so I used a Easy Start Wood Tools finisher (the little one) on 95% of it. Worked pretty well but would prefer to try a bigger tool in the future. The blank was mostly rounded on the bandsaw already, made life easier. I used a skew to sharpen up the tenon a bit. The chuck left a few small marks so in addition to larger turning tools I would love something to help clean up the foot a bit. I used to make pottery and was surprised how much I leaned back on that experience for shape, wall thickness etc. Overall the rounded blank and taking your time would be the best advice I could give. It's a small chunk of wood but felt huge since used to working with pen blanks so was cautious, turned off the lathe many time to check it out, check depth etc and had a lot of fun. Friday was a rough day so felt great to close it out with this. Look forward to seeing yours posted when you get back, thanks again!
Warren

Top Bottom