Picking Your Brains

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I think I'm pretty informed about what's good and not so good about our forum software, but I'd like your input. How about a few words about the following:
  1. What feature would you really miss about the forum if it wasn't available?
  2. What feature do you really wish we had?
  3. What do you like best and least about the layout of the front page?
OK, I'll start:

1 - The PM System
2 - I wish the forum was usable on a mobile browser because I don't really like TapaTalk.
3 - I like the multi column layout with the widgets (tags, users, stats). I wish it had more popups on hover. Like hovering over a username to see information.

philipff

Easier software?

Somehow it seems to me the process of posting a photo should be easier. But, up front i will admit that I am a klutz when it comes to posting photos. P

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
1. The library, photo albums, past threads.
2. The ability to add photographs/attachments in PM's. Longer vacations worry-free for Jeff!
3. I am not sure if I have ever clicked on the "Random Links" column (left side) of the front page. At least for me - not necessary, or an updated format?

dthayer

1 - PMs
2 - Better search and ability to sort member list by actual name and location
3 - ??? - Very rarely on the front page

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
1. I would miss the "new posts" link. First thing I do when I get on.
2. Like Mark, would like to be able to include photos in pms. Many times had to ask for an email to send.
3. Not often on front page. Perhaps give me a better reason to go there but not sure what that is. Maybe "hottest thread"

TonyL

Thanks for asking Jeff.

Improved search functionality (especially for member names) and subjects/topics
I like reply the options on the UK site:
Thank for this post / Like this post / Send PM
They appear below each post.

CREID

Ok,

1. The new posts in the quick link section, and yea the PM.
2. Not that I have ever seen anything better, but a better search engine.
3. To be honest I haven't seen the front page in a while.

gtriever

1) Library, Archives (past threads), PMs

2) Improved search function, attachments in PMs

3) Best - Latest Threads Least - Random Picks

Dehn0045

1. Ability to Google search the forum
2. It would be nice if I could do something similar to a Google image search of the forum. I know that I can search the photo albums, but I know that there are many images that get uploaded in threads but don't make their way to the photo album.
3. I have never used the random photos/links. I usually am browsing on my phone, so if I could do away with the left and right columns I would be happy. I do like the feature photo, and I use the recent threads section a lot.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to be able to add photographs in PM's. I answer questions at times and this would be helpful for what I have, but not in my IAP Photo album.

On my wish list too! Adding photos to PM's (called conversations in XenForo) as attachments is provided. I don't know if a direct insert from an album is available.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
We have been using Google Site Search (bottom of the search menu on the top menubar) for several years and I have found it pretty thorough. There is a search component for XenForo that has been recommended and I'm evaluating it. Good search is definitely on my short list too.

Jarod888

I mentioned it in the other thread, but 40 posts per thread page and direct uploading of photos rather than linking to some external site.

Shock me

Somehow it seems to me the process of posting a photo should be easier. But, up front i will admit that I am a klutz when it comes to posting photos. P

Agree, easier/direct insertion of photos. Because I want to see photos from klutz's too.

penicillin

I'm new here.

1. I am too new to say what I might miss. It would be bad if all the helpful people here got fed up and decided to leave. :-o

2 and 3: I am still trying to find a single click solution to show me all posts in chronological order, regardless of forum. It does not matter if they are read or unread. Obviously the newest unread posts will be at the top, leading to older posts that may have been read on the last visit. That's okay, show them anyway.

When I use the Active Topics "New" and "Last" days features, they always sort in forum order. Clicking on column headers does not sort. Right now, the Active Topics links force me to page through lists of older posts in forums that don't interest me, to get to the newer posts in the forums that do.

If all posts could be listed in true reverse chronological order, regardless of forum, it would help me a lot. A quick, single click solution on the main page would be great. Maybe there is already a way to do it, but I am too inexperienced to know.

P.S. Add to wish list: A way to view all of the photos in a post in a single window, where you can click on right and left arrows to scroll to the next photo in the post.

Last edited:

More4dan

I would add some of the features from the mobile app. I use the Subscribed to bookmark threads I need for future reference. I use the Participated to quickly check responses to my post for information. And the Unread feature to see what's new. I miss seeing the front page on the mobile app and the Forum list. Drag and drop pictures or even better, the ability to Copy/Paste them into a post would be ideal.

I think a product review section would be great too. Where things like lathe, chucks, etc. could be listed by category and in alphabetical order and we could add our experiences to a single thread. I just purchased my first wood lathe and thought what a help it would have been to have a collection of everyone's experiences in one place for each model they owned.

Love the site, I'm on it every day.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

randyrls

Jeff; Thanks for all the work you put in to keep the site running smoothly.

Things to Keep:
"New Posts"

Needs Improvement:
Search - Google often puts items (paid) from other sites in the search results.
PM
Photos are cumbersome to upload and difficult to include in PMs and Posts.
Access from Mobile Devices. AKA "responsive design"

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I'd like to have all of the columns in the Members List to be selectable, not just the first couple.
Update the emoji selection. Have other nation flags available too, not just USA.

When we migrate, will we need to log in initially? I'm always logged in so probably couldn't remember my password.

Dehn0045

Chuck's comment about quoting got me thinking a little, it would be nice if you could "tag" users in a post. This could streamline a thread a little and eliminate a lot of the duplication that quotes create. Also, if someone else "tags" you in a post then it would be nice to get a notification of some sort.

walshjp17

1. Library is one of the best features.
2. When there are multiple photos in a post, it would be nice to be able to scan through them rather than only being able to open one at a time. Other fora have this feature.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Do you have a general timeline for this new make-over? :biggrin:

I may have missed it, but will the current photo library transfer over intact (still linked)? It sure in nice when searching a thread to see the linked photos still showing up.

Will it make me look better? :bulgy-eyes: :smile-big:

Last edited:

MDWine

I have no gripes or demands.

I do want to say how much I appreciate JEFF and all of the teams that keep IAP afloat.
It take a tremendous amount of work to keep everything going, and I can only imagine how much effort and time Jeff is putting onto a migration of this magnitude.

Thanks Jeff!

its_virgil

1. I find the current member photo album feature very difficult to navigate. It may just be me. I have not uploaded a photo in years.
2. Not a forum problem but the library has not been updated in almost two years. The last few articles I've submitted have not been posted so I stopped sending them.
3. I too would like a mobil feature other than tapatalk. I tried using it, hated it, deleted it.
4. It would be nice to be able to add a photo to a PM.

jttheclockman

1. I find the current member photo album feature very difficult to navigate. It may just be me. I have not uploaded a photo in years.
2. Not a forum problem but the library has not been updated in almost two years. The last few articles I've submitted have not been posted so I stopped sending them.
3. I too would like a mobil feature other than tapatalk. I tried using it, hated it, deleted it.

Hey Don there is no one running the Library any more. Wayne left the command post:):):)

Upload photo so easy to do. See where it says upload just click on it and window opens asking where you want to import from.

jttheclockman

I too just would like everything we have now to be there in some form when we move. Every forum has their quirks and if you stay on them long enough and actually participate and that is the KEY word Participate you do learn things. I am still learning things here.

The one thing I hope is activated is security features there. This site has been very good with that. I am sure Jeff has to deal with this stuff all the time. Today hacks find more clever ways to infiltrate sites.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
John, I like your mention of security. I have read that mentioned here before.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that has had dodgy emails that appear to come from members here. But are crap.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I mentioned it in the other thread, but 40 posts per thread page and direct uploading of photos rather than linking to some external site.

We've always encouraged direct upload, but some users choose to link. One reason people link is that they don't want to resize photos for a forum post upload (to our 960px max dimension) We'll have dynamic resizing and some other features that will make it easy to upload.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I too just would like everything we have now to be there in some form when we move. Every forum has their quirks and if you stay on them long enough and actually participate and that is the KEY word Participate you do learn things. I am still learning things here.

The one thing I hope is activated is security features there. This site has been very good with that. I am sure Jeff has to deal with this stuff all the time. Today hacks find more clever ways to infiltrate sites.

After we were attacked several years ago, I hired a security consultant who beefed up our security greatly to account for some vulnerabilities in our forum software. Much of that won't be necessary in the new environment because of the way the new forum code is structured and protected. We'll also be activating SSL (https).

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to have all of the columns in the Members List to be selectable, not just the first couple.
Update the emoji selection. Have other nation flags available too, not just USA.

When we migrate, will we need to log in initially? I'm always logged in so probably couldn't remember my password.

I will make sure to get more flags!

Yes, you'll need to log on, so knowing your password will be very helpful :biggrin:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

Hey Don there is no one running the Library any more. Wayne left the command post:):):)

Upload photo so easy to do. See where it says upload just click on it and window opens asking where you want to import from.

I've been in touch with Wayne recently. He's working on updates to the bushing and tube charts, and I've asked him to consider restarting his work on the library. The library will move as-is to the new location. There are lots of cool things we will be able to implement, but that will take a little time.

jttheclockman

Thanks for keeping us in the loop here as you make progress. We all know Rome was not built in a day and we all know even after the move there will be additions and subtractions and moving around of things but in the end hopefully will will have this great site set up for another 10+++ years. :):)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Jeff, JT just reminded.me that at the last changeover, it was a very tough job for you. Is there anything that the general membership can do to lessen your load?
For instance, would there be any benefit in us downloading our own albums and re-uploading after the change? I know I have tons of pics and could take the opportunity for a bit of house cleaning.

Just let us know what would help.

Thanks

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff, JT just reminded.me that at the last changeover, it was a very tough job for you. Is there anything that the general membership can do to lessen your load?
For instance, would there be any benefit in us downloading our own albums and re-uploading after the change? I know I have tons of pics and could take the opportunity for a bit of house cleaning.

Just let us know what would help.

Thanks

Not necessary at all, but thanks for asking. The import processes are automatic. The work is in developing the code to migrate data from the old schema to the new one. There's no additional human effort for specific files or albums.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
If we had to lose something, for me it would be the Wiki. I wonder if anyone uses this. I've peeked a few times since it's inception and could never get it. Perhaps a good vision at the time, but I would drop it as new users might wonder why it exists and could discourage engagement.

Top Bottom