Pretty Wood Pen Contest Results

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

39 Pretty wood pens were entered, 10 made the final round. Here are the top 4 finishers:

===============
Fourth Place: Receiving a BOB from Mike Broberg is:

PEN 1, a Horistas Burl by ironwood. Congratulations, Brad!

===============
Third Place: Also receiving a BOB from Mike Broberg is:

PEN 2, a Bethlehem Olive Wood by EBorraga. Congratulations, Ernie!

===============
Second Place: Receiving $50 gift certificate from Beartooth Woods and rattle snake blanks from its_Virgil is:

PEN 13, a Thuya Burl by JonJon. Congratulations, Jonathan!

===============
In First Place, capturing the title of Prettiest Pretty Wood Pen: $50 gift Certificate from George's bits Of Timber, and $50 gift certificate from Turners Warehouse is:

PEN 5, a Desert Ironwood Burl by Fred Bruche. Congratulations, Fred!

===============

The winner of the random draw $50 gift certificate from R&B crafts is: allun. Congratulations, Anthony!

I thank everyone who entered the contest. Keep hoarding those pretty wood blanks because I doubt this contest will go on hiatus anytime soon.

I thank all the voters who help make tough decisions. I'm impressed with the vote totals in all of the contests this year.

I thank the prize donors for their contributions in the fun.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Congrats to all the winners. many standout pens this year. Was a tough contest. :):) Fred nice choice of kits. You were my pick as soon as I saw that. As long as it passed all the rules it truely is a nice pen. I have a few of those kits and this inspired me to see if I can do something with them. Good job. That is a front page photo also.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Congrats to all. I do believe this contest is one of the best for the entire IAP membership. While some of us progress into segmenting, kitless, other turnings, etc... A great "Pretty Wood Pen" is probably what hooked us all in the first place.

I always love seeing the many different woods and how they are displayed.

Very inspiring - well done to all.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thank you and congratulations to Brian as well. I had a question regarding a rule, and Brian answered and handled the contest very well. Thanks Brian!

allunn

Congratulations to all the winners and thanks to everyone who took the time to vote for these beautiful pens. A special thanks to Brian for running another successful contest.

Tony

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
This was fun, I usually never enter, as I enjoy just watching. I decided to go for the gusto this year. I was surprised I made the first cut, as there were some amazing pens. Congrats to all winners. Fred was smart enough to step in the Grey area, so congrats brother. That is a beautiful pen!!!!

Fred Bruche

Thank you all for the encouraging comments and congratulations to all entrants, it was definitely a great BASH.

Some have asked in PM, and I will repost the link here, here's a link to the kit that I used, as far as I can tell it's the only place where it's sold.
Blingless Harvest Pen Kit - Timberbits - Made in Taiwan
It's not a new kit, I found posts on the IAP dating back 2011 or so that use this kit.

I had planned to make this pen (with this wood) a couple of months ago but wondered if adding "bling pieces" would clash with the PWC rules. After the contest was announced I PMed Master of Ceremony Brian (congratulations on a masterfully conducted contest!!) that told me that since I was not dismantling any part to add my own bling he didn't have any objection. So... sorry not sorry :biggrin:

I'll post more pictures over the weekend and my thoughts on this kit. To level the field maybe we could have a blingless harvest BASH contest next time? (sponsored by Timberbits maybe?)

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Thank you all for the encouraging comments and congratulations to all entrants, it was definitely a great BASH.

Some have asked in PM, and I will repost the link here, here's a link to the kit that I used, as far as I can tell it's the only place where it's sold.
It's not a new kit, I found posts on the IAP dating back 2011 or so that use this kit.

I had planned to make this pen (with this wood) a couple of months ago but wondered if adding "bling pieces" would clash with the PWC rules. After the contest was announced I PMed Master of Ceremony Brian (congratulations on a masterfully conducted contest!!) that told me that since I was not dismantling any part to add my own bling he didn't have any objection. So... sorry not sorry :biggrin:

I'll post more pictures over the weekend and my thoughts on this kit. To level the field maybe we could have a blingless harvest BASH contest next time? (sponsored by Timberbits maybe?)
Maybe next one they decide on one kit, and everyone use that kit only. In some books it would be considered modification, as you had to modify the clip and centerband to fit the kit. But its not etched in stone.

Im a racer and i like to dance in the grey area of the rules. Congrats again!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

Maybe next one they decide on one kit, and everyone use that kit only. In some books it would be considered modification, as you had to modify the clip and centerband to fit the kit. But its not etched in stone.

A bigger spoiler gives you more down force.

EBorraga

In Memoriam

A bigger spoiler gives you more down force.

Well. Last year they had a rule. Everyone must use camshaft from so and so with this part #. Part # was stamped on front of cam for easy inspection. So thats the cam i bought and used. Everyone wondered why our car sounded different than rest of them. I took the cam they said and reground it to a profile with a ton more duration and lift. Our engine made 90 more horse than everyone else because of it. They checked it every week. But rules didnt state max lift or duration.

Again, its all in how you interpret the rules and how they enforce it. This year they changed em.

Ironwood

Wow, I am happy my pen placed against such high competition, there were some great looking entries, well done to everyone who entered.

Thanks goes to Brian, and everyone else who ran the comps, and thanks to the donors.
I am really looking forward to seeing Mikes box of blanks, and I hope I can do justice to them.

Top Bottom