Puzzle #3

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle #3 is ready to go - one more easy one before some hard ones. :)

Be sure to read ALL of the directions before submitting your entry. This puzzle requires multiple answers and you must get them all correct in order to earn a point.

Here are the questions you must answer:
1. Who made the pen shown in the attached photo (real name or user ID is ok)?
2. What woods were used to make this pen (you must name all of them)?
3. What library article (title & author) inspired the making of this pen?

Send your entry to iap.puzzles@gmail.com
Be sure to put Puzzle #3 in the subject field and include your IAP user name in the message.

One entry per person.
The penmaker and author are eligible to enter if they wish.

Deadline for entries is noon CST on Friday, Feb 8.

As always, banter is encouraged, but please do not post any answers or strong hints.

Have fun
Edgar

Attachments

• Puzzle3Pen.jpg
    Puzzle3Pen.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 275
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle #3 Clarification

Just to clarify - I am looking for the woods used to make the scoops & cherry in this pen.

Edgar

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I actually know this one :) And here's some interesting facts. I had dinner with this maker the night before I had a Kidney Transplant!! We had Barbecue at Famous Dave's. First time I ever ate there. And the date was 1-9-10 :)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle #3 - REVISED RULES

Well, it turns out that the wood used for the cone in the Puzzle #3 pen photo actually is revealed somewhere in the IAP archives.

SO, in addition to the rules already in place for Puzzle #3, I will award a second point if you can correctly identify the wood used for the cone. This point is separate from the point for properly answering the 3 questions in the original rules - if you get all of those questions right and the cone wood right, you get 2 points. If you miss one or more of the original 3 questions but get the cone wood right, you get 1 point. If you get the original 3 questions right but don't guess at the cone wood or if you get it wrong, you get 1 point. Hope that's clear.

If you have already submitted an entry without a guess for the cone wood, you may submit a second entry with JUST a cone wood guess (you may not revise your original entry).

I will extend this contest until noon CST on Saturday, Feb 9.

If you cannot find the actual wood used for the cone, submit your best guess. As always, please no answers or strong hints in the public threads.

Ask any questions you might have if any of this is not clear.

Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle #3 is closed

Puzzle # 3 is closed. No more entries wi be accepted.

Answers will be posted on Monday.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle #3 Results

We had 31 entries for Puzzle #3 -- 22 people earned 1 point and 5 people earned 2 points.

The correct answers for the first part were:
Pen Maker: Dan26 (real name Dan or Daniel)
Scoop Woods: Maple, Osage Orange, Walnut & Padauk (in any order)
Library Article: Ice Cream Cone Pen Made with a European Kit by Bill Jacobs (ilikewood)

The correct answer for the cone wood is: Mahogany

You could find the answers to the first part by locating this thread. It was pretty easy to find it via a search for "Ice Cream Cone" or similar terms.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/ice-cream-cone-85898/

The answer to the second part was a little more difficult. You had to find that same pen in the Photo Gallery here:
IAP Home - Photos - Ice Cream Cone

You could find it by searching the Photo Gallery and searching for photos posted by Dan26. He has 72 photos, so you have to scroll through a few pages to find the photos of this pen. There are actually 2 such photos - one on page 4 posted on 3-16-2012 and one on page 5 posted on 9-8-2011. This is where it gets a little tricky: the photo on page 4 does not contain the names of the woods in its description, but the one on page 5 does.

I allowed some slack on the title of the article - the main thing I was looking for there was "Ice Cream Cone Pen", so if you entered that rather than the full title, I still accepted it. A few people did not provide an article title - just the author. Sorry, but the rules required both.

Thanks for playing
Edgar

Top Bottom