Puzzle #2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
This should be another easy one.

What common name for this tree is frequently used here on IAP - usually in jest, but this time it's actually worth a point if you email the correct name to iap.puzzles@gmail.com

Be sure to put Puzzle #2 in the subject and include your user name in the message. One entry per person.

As always, banter is encouraged but please, no actual guesses or strong clues.

This contest will end at noon, CST on Wed Feb 6.

Good luck
Edgar

Attachments

• Puzzle2 Tree.jpg
    Puzzle2 Tree.jpg
    700.8 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle 2 Reminder

This is a reminder that Puzzle # 2 is still active.

You have until noon CST on Wednesday , Feb 6 to get your entries in.

This one is quite easy and someone will win a prize just for sending me an email entry - it could be you!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle #2 Results

We had 30 entries for Puzzle #2 and 12 people got the right answer

Hills Weeping Fig

The big hint for this one was the statement that the common name I was looking for is often used in jest here on IAP.

In fact this name was used in the banter of the overall Puzzle Contest thread as well as the Puzzle #3 thread. It also shows up in almost every one of George's "Mr. Anonymous" games.

Yes, it's a banyan tree and yes, it's a fig tree, but those are rarely, if ever, used in jest around here. Simply calling it a weeping fig or a strangler fig also did not qualify.

I'll concede that "Hills Weeping Fig" (aka Chinese Banyan) technically only applies to one of the some 700 species of Ficus (fig) trees and I'm not certain if the photo I used is that particular species or not, but still, when we use that term here on IAP, we are generally speaking of the entire genus of Ficus trees. In any case, I did take that photo in Hawaii and at least some, if not all, of the banyan trees in Hawaii are of the specific Hills Weeping Fig species.

Thanks for playing
Edgar

Top Bottom