~~COPPERHEAD SNAKES!!!~~

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

Finally got a connection locally for copperhead snakes!! I received two more to go with this group and I pull them out of the tanning solution tonight. So I will post up pictures sometime tonight or tomorrow. I know this may not sound like a big deal to some, but when you can't get your hands on any, it's huge when someone says they can! All I have to do is make a few pens in return.

And the guy asked at what point do I want him to stop getting them, hmmmmph, I looked at him like he was crazy! LOL, told him get all he can as long as they are out there!

ForumRunner_20140506_102809.png

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
My brother kills a rattlesnake or copperhead every once in a while. I have no interest in doing anything with them myself, but if someone wants to work a trade for them when I can get them, send me a pm & we can discuss it.

Jim Smith

I'm kind of torn on this one. I have on two occasion killed Copper heads I found in the yard and have always tanned them and had them cast into blanks. That said, these snakes are actually becoming much less common in many areas. Also, in the last year or so, I started keeping snakes as pets (Honduran Milk Snakes) and as such have come to appreciate snakes much more as the unique and beautiful animals that they are. While I admit that Copper Heads make arguably the most beautiful pen blanks of any of the snake skins, I could never hunt them (or any snake) with the intention of killing them to make pen blanks. Just one man's opinion.

Jim Smith

I have to side with Jim. Even though I live in a town where every year there is "The World's Largest Rattlesnake Hunt", I'd rather let them be. I even have several each year wander close to the house, they are far more benifitial to me alive. Copperheads, too.

seamus7227

I'll take both sides. 98% of the time, the snakes that i get are used up ie: snake meat, skins, gall bladder, head, and sometimes even being milked first. I do agree however that senseless killing of them strickly for pens isnt fair, but if someone is going to kill the snake for their own personal reasons, then i want to at least put some of it to use rather than it go to waste.
The upside to all of this is population control. I still believe that is also necessary as well. Anyway, did not want this thread to offend anyone, some like em and some dont. In my book, its all about networking and utilizing the people you know to be able to prevent from things like this going to waste also.

tazhunter0

Add a few to my next order. Got to call you some time this week. Got a question about a blank.

Chris

Finally got a connection locally for copperhead snakes!! I received two more to go with this group and I pull them out of the tanning solution tonight. So I will post up pictures sometime tonight or tomorrow. I know this may not sound like a big deal to some, but when you can't get your hands on any, it's huge when someone says they can! All I have to do is make a few pens in return.

And the guy asked at what point do I want him to stop getting them, hmmmmph, I looked at him like he was crazy! LOL, told him get all he can as long as they are out there!

View attachment 115702

seamus7227

There have been some questions brought up about the steps after which the snakeskins have been removed from the solution(5 days after soaking). So i made a quick video today.

Once the skins have been removed from the solution, they are thoroughly rinsed with a water hose(spray nozzle attached using the "jet" setting). I first spray the underside which will have a milky appearance and that is any remaining solution rinsing off of the skin, this is good. Then flip it over and begin to spray one side of the skin from top to bottom working from the middle of the skin to the outside and you will notice the scale covers coming off! This is a good thing, as it creates less work when wrapping the skins around the tube and all helps prevent casting failures as well.
Now, this leads right into the video here

Hope this helps. Eventually, i will have the entire series complete. At that point we will need to add it to the library.

Top Bottom