Yes Another Pressure Pot Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BillyBoy63

Hey this is for all you pen blank casters.
trying to a decision on what kind of pressure pot to buy .
So I need to take a little poll how many use a Harbor Freight pot?
And how many Binks pot?
or what kind of paint pot do you use?:eek:

BillyBoy63:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

Hey this is for all you pen blank casters.
trying to a decision on what kind of pressure pot to buy .
So I need to take a little poll how many use a Harbor Freight pot?
And how many Binks pot?
or what kind of paint pot do you use?:eek:

BillyBoy63:biggrin:
Mine is a Princess Auto pot which is almost the same as H F pots except these have a higher max pressure limit than the HF ones.
Lin

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
If used correctly, you only need a harbor freight. Don't exceed maximum pressures and you'll be fine

BeeAMaker

I use an old binks paint pot, good for 80 psi, but rarely go above 50 when casting, no need to really. The HF pot will do just fine as long as you don't go over pressure - I suggest using a pop-it valve to prevent over pressure. I think the HF comes with one - not sure though.

In any case, you will want to be sure to get a Pressure Pot Caddy, link in my sig ;)
(sorry, couldn't resist to give my self a plug)

jkeith

Just got into casting recently. Went with the HF pot. Total cost with it and adapters was around $100. Can't beat it for price when your unsure of your casting future. That being said I will probably buy a better one next go round as the lid clamps are horrible on it and it has no way to secure it like the CA technologies pot does.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

pjkoths

I went with the CAT 5 gallon pressure pot which is about twice the cost of a HF pot. After reading much on pressure pots I decided to go with a better pot just to error on the side of safety. There is a huge difference in construction and quality between the two pots. One must work within their budget and be comfortable with the risks using a pressure pot.

Pen Zen

I bought this one from Grizzly. More expensive than the HF one but built like a tank. The lid weight about as much as the entire HF unit. The description says 45 psi max but the manual that came with said 80 psi max. I used a coupon for free shipping and it came with two of the aluminum buckets that fit inside. I don't know why it came with two, maybe an error.

2-1/2 gal. Paint Tank w/ Gauges | Grizzly Industrial

chicken

I just bought the CAT 5g from spraygunworld.com. Not the best website to find things but they delivered it in about 8 days from the day I ordered it and it was about $50 cheaper than anywhere else. I bought a few spray guns for my flat work from them years ago so I felt comfortable buying from them. Good luck.

chicken

Ahh sorry. I did not realize California air tools went by CAT. I was talking about CA Technologies. C.A. Technologies - Pressure Tanks I picked up their 5 gallon resin casting version, model #51-507C. The thing I liked about it is that it's higher pressure rated vs the California air tools (80psi vs 60psi). It was also designed as a resin casting pot so it's flat bottomed and no agitator. Thanks.

MRDucks2

Ahh sorry. I did not realize California air tools went by CAT. I was talking about CA Technologies. C.A. Technologies - Pressure Tanks I picked up their 5 gallon resin casting version, model #51-507C. The thing I liked about it is that it's higher pressure rated vs the California air tools (80psi vs 60psi). It was also designed as a resin casting pot so it's flat bottomed and no agitator. Thanks.

Lol. Yep, you stepped up more than one level from the HF pots.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

jkeith

What is the difference in the resin casting version over the regular tank? Is it just the fittings are setup for resin casting?

chicken

Lol. Yep, you stepped up more than one level from the HF pots.

I have two very high energy boys, 4 & 6, that like to hang out in the shop with me. I wanted to buy a pot that was as safe as possible and the CA Tech one seems to fit the bill. It seems like the others have a very good track record but I just feel better with this one.

chicken

I am a noob on casting but what I know is for things that take a long time to cure like cactus juice stabilizer you use a vacuum. Things that cure quick like alumilite you have to do under pressure as it cures fairly quick and the bubbles would not have their time to make it through the viscous consistency of the product while the vacuum drew down. With pressure it's fairly quick and you squeeze the air left in the product to super small so you don't see them. That's at least my understanding.

MRDucks2

Not even started casting yet. But it seems to me you would be able to fashion a thick clear plexiglass (or the like) lid (so you could observe the bubbling) for your pressure pot and use it for vacuum, also. Only thing may be the draw down time with the larger vessel.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

TurtleTom

Good reason

I am a noob on casting but what I know is for things that take a long time to cure like cactus juice stabilizer you use a vacuum. Things that cure quick like alumilite you have to do under pressure as it cures fairly quick and the bubbles would not have their time to make it through the viscous consistency of the product while the vacuum drew down. With pressure it's fairly quick and you squeeze the air left in the product to super small so you don't see them. That's at least my understanding.

That is good information. Thanks.

BeeAMaker

So which is better, vacuum or pressure?

It depends on what you are doing.

If you are stabilizing, you need to pull resin into the wood fibers, so you use a VAC. don't think pressure would work as well, as pressure may not push out all the air in the wood fibers, but trap it instead.

If you are casting, then you have 2 options.
1: mix your resin, then place the resin only in a VAC, degas it (suck the bubbles out), then pour into your mold careful not to introduce air bubbles while pouring. This will usually give you a bubble free cast without a pressure pot.
2: Simply mix your resin, pour into mold then place in a pressure pot to squeeze the air out (or shrink the bubbles), and when hybrid casting (wood with resin for example) the pressure will help push the resin into small cracks and crannies.

jbg230

Check out this company on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEVILBISS-PT-SERIES-2-GALLON-STEEL-PRESSURE-VESSEL-0-100-PSI-GAUGE/361978095721?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49564%26meid%3De22b0e19fd854d6fb8bc510d4f9b4ff6%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D282474995333&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I bought a Binks pot from them that is in great shape. The pots they have were used in a lab and have no paint on them. (Not sure what they were used for though) The Devilbiss pots that are still available are also excellent with 80 psi max. (I believe Binks and Devilbiss are the same company now)

Make them an offer and save money. I think this is one of the best deals out there. I didn't like the stories I read about the HF pots and wanted the ability to go to 60 psi for worthless wood.

Pen Zen

Check out this company on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEVILBISS-PT-SERIES-2-GALLON-STEEL-PRESSURE-VESSEL-0-100-PSI-GAUGE/361978095721?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49564%26meid%3De22b0e19fd854d6fb8bc510d4f9b4ff6%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D282474995333&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I bought a Binks pot from them that is in great shape. The pots they have were used in a lab and have no paint on them. (Not sure what they were used for though) The Devilbiss pots that are still available are also excellent with 80 psi max. (I believe Binks and Devilbiss are the same company now)

Make them an offer and save money. I think this is one of the best deals out there. I didn't like the stories I read about the HF pots and wanted the ability to go to 60 psi for worthless wood.

Those seem like really good deals. I'm tempted to get a second pot.

TurtleTom

Finally! Reasons!

If you are stabilizing, you need to pull resin into the wood fibers, so you use a VAC. don't think pressure would work as well, as pressure may not push out all the air in the wood fibers, but trap it instead.

If you are casting, then you have 2 options.
1: mix your resin, then place the resin only in a VAC, degas it (suck the bubbles out), then pour into your mold careful not to introduce air bubbles while pouring. This will usually give you a bubble free cast without a pressure pot.
2: Simply mix your resin, pour into mold then place in a pressure pot to squeeze the air out (or shrink the bubbles), and when hybrid casting (wood with resin for example) the pressure will help push the resin into small cracks and crannies.[/QUOTE]

I won't beat myself up for not thinking of this. I just wish I did, (think of this).
Really makes sense now.

Top Bottom