Yarn Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

For some reason I want to try a yarn blank sort of yarn micarta with the below yarn.

First which resin? I have Alumilite clear slow, Liquid Diamonds and PR. Well PR is out because of the stink.

But thinking maybe cut it up into 6" ish strands and mix it in the cup and then shove it into a silicone mold or cut it up lay it the mold and then more the resin in. Thinking either way LD would probably be best to allow the resin to soak in.

I have a two blank mold so maybe I'll do one of each.

Attachments

• scrubby.jpeg
    scrubby.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 150

JohnU

I tried a yard blank a while back by wrapping the tube and clear casting. It wasn't a success because the PR didn't penetrate the yarn very well and left air pockets along its surface. I didn't spend a lot of time working on it and I don't remember if I warmed the resin first to thin it down but I still think it's doable. My thoughts would be a slow curing resin to allow it time to soak in. I don't know if you have enough time to get the air out with alumilite because of how many little areas in the yarn hold air. The shaggier the yarn the harder it might be. CA could be helpful but doesn't work real well under alumilite. Another possibility might be to rub the yarn down with PR before you add the catalyst then pour the mixed PR over it. It would all react the same for curing when next to each other and allow you to get it in the crevices without worrying about it curing before you get it in the air tank. I don't have any experience with liquid diamond resin so I can't comment on it but between alumilite or PR, I would think PR would be a better choice.

chartle

OK so this popped back up and well the results were not that great. Anything you want to cast soak a sample in water first and see what it looks like. The yarn just sort of goes blah when soaked in resin. Also I used pressure so no bubbles.

Just like when I tried construction paper micarta and everything looks grey.

Top Bottom