Worthless wood source

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sdivot

Anyone know of a good source for "worthless" wood? I'd like to try casting some with resin, but I'm not where to get some.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Steve

plantman

Anyone know of a good source for "worthless" wood? I'd like to try casting some with resin, but I'm not where to get some.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Steve

STEVE; One good source I have always found to be is my local yard waste site. People are always trimming and cutting down trees, shrubs, or remodeling. Plus a lot of times you will make some great finds of things people are clearing out of their yards. And, you can't beat the price. Also roadside on trash day. Jim S

Last edited:

thunderwear

SDivot,

I've had some great luck just finding wood on a trail. I definitely do not cut or break anything off on any trails whether or not in a protected forest or not, but sometimes you will find chunks of wood on the ground after they do trail maintenance. I found one that looked literally like a piece of coyote poop and it turned out to be a Manzanita Root burl piece. Turned awesome. Also, check out your local arboretum. I did that and made friends with their curator of the "woody collection" by bringing him a pen and asking about a particular tree (box elder). He got me through the $ 20.00 gate for free showed me the box elders, taught me about the borers that create the redness in the wood, showed me the herbarium, etc. To top it off they are cutting down a box elder and holding a section in a freezer for 30 days for me (to kill all the bugs first and not spread them around). I also got to meet the arborist and got his card....gave me some blue spruce while I was there. Seriously, all you have to do is talk to people about your projects and they want to hear more and help. There's also some websites that help you find rare trees growing in your area....the one I use around me is: SEINet - Arizona Chapter Home. You have to Google your type of wood to get the actual scientific name and enter that, but it shows you on a map where the stuff is growing...again....don't cut anything, but look for downed branches or trees that have already died. I found an awesome grove of Manzanita with this and a man who graded his road onto his property (and did the Manzanita damage instead of me) allowed me to pick up the root burl pieces that the grader pulled out of the ground. My two cents...most wood is not worthless....it's all beautiful. -- Jeff

Top Bottom