Worthless Wood Blanks? **Tutorial**

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
As promised, here is the link to my just completed tutorial detailing my process of casting unusable wood for pen blanks. You all have seen my Algarita pen cast with magenta resin and my Mescalbean cast with gold resin, well, this is how I do it!

http://builtbydoc.com/penturning_resources.htm

Comments or suggestions for improvement are appreciated.

Jeff/Content Team, feel free to download and include this in the tutorial section if you deem it worthy.

Enjoy!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

Originally posted by MesquiteMan
<br />Jeff/Content Team, feel free to download and include this in the tutorial section if you deem it worthy.

Your kidding right?

If that tutor is not worthy then I need more psychological help than even Angela could provide. [:0]

I'm sure we can find a spot in the library for this tutor.

I think your next tutor should detail how you did this tutor. I know that I could learn a thing or two from you.

Damn fine work Curtis!

GaryMGg

Curtis,

I've <s>yet to </s>re-read the tutorial <s>but</s> AND I want to thank you for sharing it <s>just the same</s>.
I know you put a lot of effort into it and I'm sure it'll be used quite a bit as it opens the door for lots of wonderful blank opportunities.
But, I'm pi**ed [:(!] -- I'm afraid you're going to cause me to expend funds on a pressure pot in the future as I see this becoming a shop necessity. [:D][:D] [;)]

Gary

Tanner

Excellent Curtis!! It makes me want to start breaking blanks apart.[:D] Your pressure pot stand is also something I will surely make. I just learned several things at different levels from this one tutorial. Thanks Curtis!

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by GaryMGg
<br />Curtis,
.....But, I'm pi**ed [:(!] -- I'm afraid you're going to cause me to expend funds on a pressure pot in the future as I see this becoming a shop necessity. [:D][:D] [;)]

Gary

I agree with Gary. I just might have to breakdown and buy a pressure pot also. I have some ash burl that just does not want to stay together for me to turn it.

stevers

Curtis, you are the bomb. This is exactly what I need to salvage all the Eucalyptus burl I have from my find. If this works, I can save 30 or 40 blanks. My Mr. Fiberglass PR is due tomorrow. I can't wait to give it a try. I hope the PR works as well as the Alumilite. My pressure pot can easily take and hold 60 pounds. Now I'm even more exited.

This is one of the very worst ones, just an example.
2007833387_spalted%20euc%20600.jpg
<br />

stevers

For those not fallowing my other post, here is the first Worthless Wood creation from my shop. It's Euc burl, Mr. Fiberglass PR, 3 drops of MEKP per ounce and held at 60 pounds for about 15 hours. The penetration is complete. All the way to the tube. Keep in mind that the wood is quite punky and has a lot of voids. I also put a quick coat of CA on it to fill a couple of small voids left behind. This could save a "lot" of Euc burl for me. Thanks again Curtis for the tutorial.

20078553922_Worthless%20wood%20test%20600.jpg
<br />

Have no fear, the next set of castings will be done with some sort of color in the resin. This will help to hide the tube. This first set of casting is strictly an experiment. Thats why this one isn't a pen, just practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom