Worm hole question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CrashmanS

I have some very old wormy chestnut I'd like to stabilize. Will cactus juice fill in the Worm holes and harden? Don't know how much it will "fill".

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Very small holes, pinhole size, may fill with CJ, but the juice will be brittle.
I would attempt to first fill the holes by casting with alumilite followed by stabilization with CJ.

oldtoolsniper

I have worked with wormy chestnut to make picture frames. Came fro a bridge in Oregon. It is a very brittle wood and even with brand new router bits it tends to shatter. I would venture to say stabilizing the chestnut would help with that. The worm holes are part of the charm to me. Perhaps pressure casting clear alumilite into the wood will persevere the holes visually and still make a solid blank.

Just theory on my part.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

1080Wayne

Very small holes, pinhole size, may fill with CJ, but the juice will be brittle.
I would attempt to first fill the holes by casting with alumilite followed by stabilization with CJ.

I usually do stabilization first and follow with the Alumilite on larger sections . Don`t think it matters much which way .

CrashmanS

The house my mom's family grew up in was remodeled and I have a bunch of boards that can from this job. I would like to make some items from this wood for the family as my grand parents are now passed. Not for Christmas but maybe the family reunion.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator

I usually do stabilization first and follow with the Alumilite on larger sections . Don`t think it matters much which way .
I've done it both ways and mine, IMHO, turned out better with Alumilite first followed by CJ (but not everyone likes the same thing).

Top Bottom