wood and acrylic fused

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JCochrun

I know there are lots of different names that we all use for these blanks. I've seen lots of videos on how to make an acrylic blank. I'm wondering, how do you make a blank that is wood and acrylic? I love the blanks but I don't like the higher cost of purchasing them. I'm interested in trying to learn to make my own. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dorno

I can understand you not wanting to pay the cost of these blanks but they are like anything else and just because people call them worthless wood blanks don't expect it to be that (worthless wood ) I have made several of these blanks myself and if you look at the work and the equipment needed to make these blanks eg pressure pot and the molds in the end if you are not going to make blanks on a regular basis it does work out cheaper to buy them.

Cheers Ian

Jim Burr

Banned
I can understand you not wanting to pay the cost of these blanks but they are like anything else and just because people call them worthless wood blanks don't expect it to be that (worthless wood ) I have made several of these blanks myself and if you look at the work and the equipment needed to make these blanks eg pressure pot and the molds in the end if you are not going to make blanks on a regular basis it does work out cheaper to buy them.

Cheers Ian
Right on the money Ian. Jim, although the learning curve isn't steep, the cost is high. To answer your question, you need suitable wood, resin of some kind, a mold and in most cases, a pressure pot to 1) diminish the size of the air bubbles in the resin and 2) help adhere the resin to the wood. They are also very time intensive if you work or have limited time.

robutacion

Cheers Ian
Right on the money Ian. Jim, although the learning curve isn't steep, the cost is high. To answer your question, you need suitable wood, resin of some kind, a mold and in most cases, a pressure pot to 1) diminish the size of the air bubbles in the resin and 2) help adhere the resin to the wood. They are also very time intensive if you work or have limited time.

And I back that myself, if your main motive to want to make them is their cost, look around carefully, there are people selling them at a very fair prices ($5 to $9), unless you have a good supply of the correct wood to make these blanks, you will need to make a few hundred, just to brake even...!

There are good things about making your own casting blanks however, there a few things that are not that good, and when thing go wrong, they really go wrong and mess everything up.

With this said, I spend a considerable amount of my time here, showing what that been done with castings and how easy is to find things to cast and make pen blanks with so, I'm not trying to push you away from doing your own castings, I encourage anyone to have a go, I just you to consider if blank costs is really the only motive for you to consider making your own...!

Good luck,

Cheers
George

Last edited:

nx95240

I have try this on about a gl of resin now and still get small bubbles were it bonds to the wood . so now I just buy they from people knowing what they are doing a lot cheaper for me this way..lol

JCochrun

Thanks for all of the comments/suggestions. I do appreciate them. The cost of the blanks is one of the reasons I wanted to get into casting. I also want the ability to create the custom blanks that I want instead of settling for what I can find. Most of my customers are looking for specific colors in acrylics. I have been going through more of the wood acrylic fusion blanks than any other type of blank. I've used over 40 blanks and I've got more folks wanting them. The problem is that they can't afford the higher price that comes with using a higher priced blank. I've been buying the blanks for $18-$20 each. I would love to get them for $5-$8 each but I haven't found them yet.

The other reason that I am interested in casting the blanks is that I want to learn new things.

Not sure if anyone here knows but I was wondering how the Stars n Stripes acrylic blanks are made? It doesn't appear to be cut and glued. I've seen acrylic that was swirled and makes sense on how it is made but I have no idea how they made the Stars N Stripes. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

Top Bottom