Woo Hoo!!! Poured my 1st!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cozee

I am on vacation this week so the days begin a little later. After the wife and I returned home from working out (LOL!! I went to work any way, we have a fully equipped fitness center!!) the Brown Truck had left me a package. A gallon of Simlar 41 from Mr. Fiberglass. Grabbed a couple of urethane base coats off the shelf in the garage and headed for the dungeon. One thing I quickly found out is that Mrs. Cozee doesn't prefer the odor so I will build me a casting station with ventilation. Any way, mixed up enough to do a pen, maroon and silver, local school colors. Got them poured into a pvc mold and now I am waiting to see what they look like!!!:D

Man, do I need some patience right now!!!![}:)][8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If your maroon acts like OUR maroon, go out to Dinner and a play!!!

It takes a couple days for red to set.[:0][:0][:0]

All colors are different setting times - pour black REAL fast!

cozee

Hey Ed, sending an email in a few minutes . . . .

Funny, red auto paint takes a bit more curing time sometimes. Must be because it costs more!!!

As for pouring real fast, I allowed the maroon and silver to, uh, thicken in the mixing cups prior to pouring as I wanted to eliminate as much color blending as I possibly could. Look away for one minute and . . . . thankfully it seemed to flow well into the PVC tubes!!!

cozee

LOL!! I told my wife that <b>you</b> said when I pour castings that we are to afterwards go out to dinner and then play. [}:)][:D][8D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />If your maroon acts like OUR maroon, go out to Dinner and a play!!!

It takes a couple days for red to set.[:0][:0][:0]

All colors are different setting times - pour black REAL fast!

But, if you can convince HER, your way works, too!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
He's still waiting for it to set!!![:D][:D]

He could post a picture of his puddle that he THOUGHT would be a blank by now!!

cozee

Originally posted by gketell
<br />pictures pictures pictures. It didn't happen without pictures.

Now, where have I heard that before, Cozee? [:D]

GK

Okay, you want a picture, heeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrreee it is!!! And yes, I did have a puddle on the bench. See the short blue and white blank?!!! I thought I'd try some of fancy Saran wrap, the clingy stuff instead of duct tape to seal the bottom of the mold. Weeelllll, it wasn't clingy enough!!! Bubble Gum Pink with some green pearl mixed in, Metallic Blue and White, and Maroon and Silver (local HS colors)

20075413742_1stRESINS.jpg

Originally posted by cozee
Okay, you want a picture, heeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrreee it is!!! And yes, I did have a puddle on the bench. See the short blue and white blank?!!! I thought I'd try some of fancy Saran wrap, the clingy stuff instead of duct tape to seal the bottom of the mold. Weeelllll, it wasn't clingy enough!!! Bubble Gum Pink with some green pearl mixed in, Metallic Blue and White, and Maroon and Silver (local HS colors)

20075413742_1stRESINS.jpg

Bubble Gum Pink... Bazooka Joe would be proud!

cozee

All colors are actually PPG Concept DBC's except for the pink which is a DCC. Clear as mud right?!!! I'll see if I can find the time to pour a few more of the pink.

its_virgil

Automotive colors or tint? (DBC) Basecoat. Concept(DCC) Acrylic Urethane

don

<br />All colors are actually PPG Concept DBC's except for the pink which is a DCC. Clear as mud right?!!! I'll see if I can find the time to pour a few more of the pink.

cozee

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Automotive colors or tint? (DBC) Basecoat. Concept(DCC) Acrylic Urethane

don

<br />All colors are actually PPG Concept DBC's except for the pink which is a DCC. Clear as mud right?!!! I'll see if I can find the time to pour a few more of the pink.

Yep, we have a winna!! Gotta go with what I know!! DBC's are a two stage base coat. Basically pigment which requires a clear coat to protect it both from abrasion and also UV. The DCC is a single stage which is formulated with a built in gloss. Can't wait to try a few custom paints!!!

Texasbeachbum

Thanks for the info Greg. Now is the DCC the pigment that is mixed with the paint to get the color or is it the paint its self? Can I buy just the pigment if that is what it is? If so where?

cozee

No, DCC is a single stage paint. One must mix in reducer and hardener to spray but none are needed when mixing with resins. Could get a bit pricey for someone simply wanting to tint resins. I use leftovers so I have no investment. One can buy just the pigments, otherwise known as toners at most custom paint supply houses.

Texasbeachbum

Cozee got your email Thanks for the offer. I got some red and white from hobby Lobby and made my own pink. Granddaughter loves it. I made another pink one with some pearl in it and man that thing does look good. I can't take a picture that will show what it really looks like with the pearl. My old camera just ain't up to it [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom