The wife and the lesson...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

First of all, a big thanks to Bob(BSea)!
The man took time out of his Sunday morning/afternoon to come over and give the wife a lesson in casting PR blanks in the vertical mold!!!

Thank You!!

I shot some video, but have not had time to edit the stuff down to something interesting, basically it's a bunch of waiting for things to happen, followed by a few seconds of pouring 'goo' into the mold....boring!

With the area prepared and plastic cups, stir sticks, and everything ready to go, Bob assisted the wife(also known as Lyn) in making three different colored swirly pours. The next morning, I did as he told me, and 'popped' them out of the mold with the air compressor(which is actually fun, but I would recommend not using 135PSI to do it:eek:).

Here's the results in the order they were mixed and poured(these have not been turned on the lathe to get that 'blah look' off the outside of the casting-yet) Nothing has been done to enchance the colors, and you can see a few tiny bubbles on some of the blanks, all-in-all...they look better then some I've bought to turn(I think so, YMMV)

#1: Amethyst and Interfine Pearl Violet
DSC00816.jpg

2#: Paradise Pearl Gold with a touch of Tropic Bronze and Blushing Rose
DSC00817.jpg

3#: Metallic Red Pearl Raisin, Rustic Gold and Black
DSC00818.jpg

All I can say is, Bob....you created a monster! That little jug of PR isn't going to make it through the end of the week, and I guess she's wanting a larger selection of mica powder!!! Hey, it's only money.....

I'll get these turned(at least one of each), and post them in the SOYP area soon!

Scott (it's ya'lls fault...everyone) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

Wow those look great. I have to agree #3 is awesome. It looks like smoke rising up over the sunset...... Nice work

Chris (your signitures crack me up) B

BSea

Hey Scott, warm up the video camera when you show Lyn the blanks after they are turned. That would be priceless to see her reaction. And no thanks was needed for the lesson. It's not like it was "Work".

wiset1

Really great job on the casting! It really is an art to get everything to swirl correctly without getting a muddy look. This looks like you nailed it out of the park and I have to agree...the 3rd one looks like it's going to be a winner!!!

EarlD

You've got your work cut out for you now. More blanks coming than you can keep up with! Those look great!

SDB777

You've got your work cut out for you now. More blanks coming than you can keep up with! Those look great!

Thankfully I have a website that I can toss the extras on and reduce the amount of actual lathe time! She's already got me ordering more colored mica, and a couple gallons of 'goo'(PR resin)....sometimes I wonder if it'll ever end?

I know I'll be turning at least one of each into something...maybe a few closed end rollerballs?

Scott (too busy to find myself) B

BSea

I know I'll be turning at least one of each into something...maybe a few closed end rollerballs?

I guess it's possible to make a closed end out of 1 blank, but it will be really close.

EDIT: Actually, I was measuring a Retro Jr. And it's a little longer than a Jr Gent 1. So you should be able to do it without too much trouble.

Last edited:

SDB777

I guess it's possible to make a closed end out of 1 blank, but it will be really close.

EDIT: Actually, I was measuring a Retro Jr. And it's a little longer than a Jr Gent 1. So you should be able to do it without too much trouble.

Measured the casts from your mold at 5-3/8"....shouldn't be a problem considering I used a 5-1/4" Black Limba blank to make that first double closed end fountain pen.

Scott (purple with a satin kit) B

SDB777

Another batch out of the mold!

Gotta to admit, it's a hoot popping those things out of the mold with the air compressor....especially since I turned the regulator down some!

The color blends are very consistant from hole to hole, so she must be doing something right!

Scott (got more turning to do) B

Rick P

I dig them all but the second one really pops for me!!!!!!! Then again its easy to find me, just start a fire!

Very well done on all 3!.........your a good man Bob!

Top Bottom