where can i get acrylic acetate kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crabcreekind

I want to make acrylic pens but i dont want to buy pre made blanks. I wish to make my own with my own twists on them, i cant find anywhere to buy the kit to make them. can you help me out?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You can't make acrylic in your kitchen.

Requires pressure (as I understand it) well beyond safe home limits.

I can get custom colors made FOR you, in Italy, if you are willing to buy quite a lot.

Hess

Woodturinz will make custom colors cheap he charged me about 3 bucks each by the time it was done

its_virgil

Do you really mean acrylic? Or, are you using the word acrylic as a generic term for some kind of plastic blanks you can make yourself? If real acrylic is what you are after then you have that answer from Ed. Dig deep into your pockets. I'm sure he will be glad to help you out.:biggrin: If, on the other hand, you want to make "acrylic" blanks yourself then you have two choices: polyester resin or alumilite. Neither are real acrylic. Many home casters are making some really nice blanks using one of these two "non-acrylic" acrylic resins. Happy casting.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I want to make acrylic pens but i dont want to buy pre made blanks. I wish to make my own with my own twists on them, i cant find anywhere to buy the kit to make them. can you help me out?

ctubbs

Alumilite is sold by a member on site: maxwell_smart007. Look up his post and contact him for pricing and availability. There is casting rosin available at most hobby stores. A similar casting rosin is sold by Curtis MesquiteMan unless I am wrong which is not all that impossible. However, Curtis is very helpful and can set you on the right path but then so can Andrew maxwell_smart007.
Charles

Brooks803

Charles I think you have things mixed up. Andrew (maxwellsmart007) is our vendor liaison who worked with alumilite to get a discount. Curtis has worked with them heavily on getting a pen friendly formula and he is their go to guy for feedback. But alas, neither actually sell the product. I think you can only order direct from alumilite.

But to touch on the subject at hand please check out our IAP library for a TON of info from the people who have been doing this for a long time. I do my own castings and no longer buy blanks unless its either a special order. Once you get a taste for it it becomes very addicting

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
And, if you want excellent blanks with no learning curve for yourself (spelled waste), contact Brooks803 (Johnathon) and have HIM make them for you.

It will be MUCH cheaper than buying all the things you need and going through several generations of failures.

FWIW

ctubbs

Charles I think you have things mixed up. Andrew (maxwellsmart007) is our vendor liaison who worked with alumilite to get a discount. Curtis has worked with them heavily on getting a pen friendly formula and he is their go to guy for feedback. But alas, neither actually sell the product. I think you can only order direct from alumilite.

But to touch on the subject at hand please check out our IAP library for a TON of info from the people who have been doing this for a long time. I do my own castings and no longer buy blanks unless its either a special order. Once you get a taste for it it becomes very addicting

Now that is exactly what I have observed on this site. Thank you for the correction Brooks. I had read many post by both of these wonderful people and then did the "assume" thing. (Break it down ass-u-me) I offer my humble apologizes to all concerned. However, this will not keep my big mouth shut. Here we go again. Once more, my heart felt thanks to Brooks for setting me straight. Keep watching, please keep watching.
Charles

Top Bottom