Whats the secret?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BeeAMaker

In casting with Alumilite, how do you keep multiple colors from "mixing" while under pressure? I am guessing you wait until it just starts to "gell" before you pour, then quickly to the pressure pot?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Timing is key for sure... and don't go crazy trying to swirl it all up. I've switched to alumilite slow because my process takes a bit more time. Certainly is a little less hectic having that extra 4 minutes of time!

Time it right and you'll get good separation. Couple of kitless a buddy turned from my blanks.

Attachments

• RainbowKitless.jpg
    RainbowKitless.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 329
  • TidePodKitless.jpg
    TidePodKitless.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:

JohnU

Its just a benefit of Alumilite. You wont have to wait and If you do its too late. It sets in less than 7 minutes so you will have just enough time, if lucky, to mix - color- and pour. It thickens fast enough that the colors stay separate, unlike with Polyresin. With that you will have to wait for it to thicken before pouring.

Last edited:

BeeAMaker

Thanks guys!

I figured it was timing. Makes sense.

Although you can get some really cool effect from the movement within the resin while in the pressure pot. And here was my latest attempt. Looks like an eye. Wasn't really what I was going for, I didn't mix the 2 at all, just blooped the copper in. It mixed all by itself.

eye.jpg

The movement always seems to be in a torrid direction, down in the center and up the sides. I assume from the movement of air bubbles, and possible the mica power itself, while being compressed. This movement would be limited if the material was starting to gel.

Couple more examples from NZ wood, the first one quite by accident.
https://youtu.be/g4-ZPWfZaRU
and
https://youtu.be/zagNqwDPyv4

Last edited:

BeeAMaker

get an infrared thermometer and wait until the resin is 95 degrees then pour it

Thanks! I'll try that. I assume that is degrees F?

I did a quick cast last night and mixed one color, let set while I mixed the second. When the first started to get thick I added it to the second mix then into the pressure pot. It didn't mix nearly like it does when both are just mixed and poured. I'm starting to figure it our! :biggrin:

jkeith

get an infrared thermometer and wait until the resin is 95 degrees then pour it

Thanks! I'll try that. I assume that is degrees F?

I did a quick cast last night and mixed one color, let set while I mixed the second. When the first started to get thick I added it to the second mix then into the pressure pot. It didn't mix nearly like it does when both are just mixed and poured. I'm starting to figure it our! :biggrin:

Yes, sorry. That is 95 F. It's about the perfect temp to pour colors with minimal blending yet leave yourself enough time to get everything in the pot. Time is never a good factor as the ambient temperature could change how long the resin takes to get to the correct point. If you go by degrees you never have to worry about how long to wait.

Larryreitz

Glen, thanks for starting this thread. I've been experiencing the same issues.
Joey, Thanks for the info on the temperature you get to before pouring. I've usually assumed it would be good to get it poured ASAP to minimize bubbles. Just returned from Home Depot with an IR thermometer. Probably will do a pour later on today.
Larry

jkeith

When using multiple colors, try to mix them all at the about the same time and when the first color gets to 95 pour them all. You should still have enough time to get them in the pot and get pressure on them.

Top Bottom