What's the difference?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Camardelle

I picked up some PR from one of the craft stores the other day and i haven't had a chance to try it. I also received a kit from WoodNwhimsies the day before and gave it a go. I was pleased with the results and how my pen turned out. Can anyone tell me what the difference in the two are?

This is what I purchased…from Hobby Lobby I believe.

81-RIxylQJL._SL1436_.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

They are both polyester resins but not by the same manufacturer. The problem with purchasing from a local craft store such as Hobby Lobby or Michaels is not knowing how long the product has been sitting on the shelf or in a hot warehouse somewhere. Polyester resins are pre-promoted which means a product is added which effectively starts the curing. The MEKP catalyst starts a faster chemical reaction to kick off the curing. It is possible for a can of PR to cure in the can if it sits on a store shelf or warehouse long enough. Sourcing from a supplier that moves a lot of product will insure fresh product. Wood-n-whimsies appears of sell PR from Interplastic Cooperation which sells Silmar polyester resin and I would suspect theirs is either silmar 40 or silmar 41. The pen supplies vendors who sell polyester resins will be selling enough to insure fresh product.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Camardelle

I did a couple blanks with the Woodnwhimsies PR the other day and turned one yesterday. It turned out nice. I'll give the above pictured stuff a shot soon to test the results. Thanks for the input!

Camardelle

I've done several blanks using the stuff from woodnwhimsies and am having a blast! I have a question….

The MDS sheet on their website refers to the resin as Sil95be-41a.

What other sources are you using to buy this? Thanks!

its_virgil

Silmar 41 is what you want to find. I get it from uscomposites.com

Google silmar 41 and you will find several other sources...maybe you can find one locally and save the hazardous material shipping charges. You will find some ebay offerings...I would stay clear of them for freshness reasons.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I've done several blanks using the stuff from woodnwhimsies and am having a blast! I have a question….

Camardelle

Thanks Don. I hope you're staying warm in WF.

I checked out us composites….good pricing. I'll take your advice and google it for local sources.

Camardelle

I'm located just north of Houston in Willis. Love it here! I retired almost 2 years ago after right at 19 years. I had 6 vesting years fall into my lap from a stint I did with TDC…well not actually inside TDC…more along the lines of working for TDC. LOL

Small world!

arkie

Craft Store Resin

The only difference I have noticed, other than pricing, is that the resin I bought from Michaels takes fewer drops of catalyst. Be sure to check directions, and use catalyst at the lower end of the recommended range.

Camardelle

Silmar 41 is what you want to find. I get it from uscomposites.com

Google silmar 41 and you will find several other sources...maybe you can find one locally and save the hazardous material shipping charges. You will find some ebay offerings...I would stay clear of them for freshness reasons.

Do a good turn daily!

Don

Hi Don. I picked up some 41 from US Composites. Any idea how much resin per ounce I should use?

Top Bottom