What are some good starting colors?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevers

Hi All,
This has most likely been asked, but I'm going to ask it again.
What are some good general starting colors? I want to pick up some stuff before my resin comes. I want to play with colors when I start learning. Including some perlesence's and metallic stuff as well.(and any other good suggestions) And as long as we are on the subject, where do you go for them? Mail order(internet). My Mr Fiberglass clear casting resin has been ordered and will hopefully be here in a couple of weeks, or less.
Thanks in advance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
I bought the basic red,white,black,green,yellow,blue from Mr. Fiberglass and have been "playing" with them. The latest was to pour a small amount on a piece of glass and let it start to set up and peel off thin strips and inbed them into the solid colors. I've been making molds from the cardboard boxes i get when ordering supplies cut down to 3/4"x5" I.D. and Hot Gluing them together. This seems to work good for me.(Good glue coverage on the seams inside and out)

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Basically there are 2 types of colors - dry pigments and liquids, each with different effects on color amd cure time.

I really like the Mixol liquids from Woodcraft (not sure if others have them) for solid colors. They sell these individually and in a set. With a little practice, you can blend these to get any color or shade you want but have to be careful to add enough else when you turn them down tubes are visible.

For dry pigments, I buy from artstuf.com . I think they have a sample kit with a whole bunch of colors, else you can just order what you want. Probably a good idea to get some of the pearlescent pigments to add to the solid colors or even use by themselves. They do give the blanks an interesting effect.

Note that some colors or combination do slow down the cure time of the resin. You could probably add more catalyst to these or just leave them sit and they will eventually cure (maybe >week). Its a good idea to take some notes as to how much color you are adding, how much catalyst, and how well they cure so you don't repeat the mistakes or if your like me, your bucket of rejects just keeps growing.

its_virgil

http://www.mrfiberglass.com
Place your order and he sends an email and invoice then you make payment.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by beck3906
<br />Can someone give me a link to the Mr. Fiberglass page where you order your PR and the color agents?

Thanks
Rick

Narwhale

Colors for pen casting - got this link here so will pass it on.
http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=35&CFID=529657&CFTOKEN=54265104
Coastal Scents sell very finely ground colored mica used in the womens make-up industry.
The mica colors mix with the polester resin perfectly, allowing one to go from translucent to solid, almost any color, add different color sparkes, and pearls. What more could we pen casters want.

Have cast about 50 blanks with this mica colors and am VERY happy about it. Each blank is unique and beautiful. The only down side is some a r more translucent than I'm used to and one must paint the inisde of the blank hole.
Not affiliated in any way, just love it.
Rich S.
PS: Favorite colors would be the basics in pearl: white, black, gold, red, yellow, & blue. Then add whatever you can not resist.
PPS: for example http://www.penturners.org/forum/photo_album_view.asp?cname=Pens&mid=3288&cid=3558#

Jerryconn

Originally posted by BRobbins629
<br />Basically there are 2 types of colors - dry pigments and liquids, each with different effects on color amd cure time.

I really like the Mixol liquids from Woodcraft (not sure if others have them) for solid colors. They sell these individually and in a set. With a little practice, you can blend these to get any color or shade you want but have to be careful to add enough else when you turn them down tubes are visible.

For dry pigments, I buy from artstuf.com . I think they have a sample kit with a whole bunch of colors, else you can just order what you want. Probably a good idea to get some of the pearlescent pigments to add to the solid colors or even use by themselves. They do give the blanks an interesting effect.

Note that some colors or combination do slow down the cure time of the resin. You could probably add more catalyst to these or just leave them sit and they will eventually cure (maybe &gt;week). Its a good idea to take some notes as to how much color you are adding, how much catalyst, and how well they cure so you don't repeat the mistakes or if your like me, your bucket of rejects just keeps growing.
All I can say is ditto.
I really like the mixol colorants $5 a bottle and they really work for me. For other color I also go to artstuf.

Draken

For solid colors, I use powdered pigments from www.artstuf.com. Seems they no longer carry the master pigment tester set.
http://www.artstuf.com/DStockNEW.fm$FIND?subcategory=Powdered%20Pigments&header=SubHead&footer=CatFoot&html=subshelf&sort=SKU
For color with sparkle, I use the Pearl Ex powders. They can be found at Michaels, ACMoore, specialty art supply stores and online (www.djhobby.com, search for: Pearl Ex, only place I've found so far to carry all 40 colors)

Anything you add to PR should be considered a contaminate. The more you add, the more contaminated the PR becomes, which increases the adverse effects on the PR hardening time and its brittleness.

Hope this helps.

stevers

Rich, I ordered some of the mica colors. All sample sizes for now. I want to play with them and See what comes from it. I like the look of the powders.
I'm also going to be picking up some liquid dyes. Probably from Art Stuff. They seem to have a "huge" selection. That's what set me a-back in the first place. The product listings are a bit overwhelming. But, I think I'm getting a handle on it now. We'll see when the resin comes and I cast some.
Thanks James and Jerry, and Chris, I'll let you know what I think when I use the micas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom