What happend

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

neon007

I have been doing my own castings for 5 years. I used to make handles for knives then I got bit by the pen bug. Last night I made a solid red casting that I planned to do some segmenting with. I used the same amount of mekp as always about 1 to 1-1/2% but something weird happened. The block started to turn black. It even turned the mold an orange color. Any ideas how this happened??? I am perplexed over this. Here is a pic so everyone can see what can happen.

fu.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

doberman

My experience is when resin turns black moisture got into the mix somewhere - is it a liquid dye?

Tubby

Keith,

When using liquid dyes, I have found that using 1-2 more drops of mekp will help set it easier. I have never seen anything like that before though. How old was the dye?

Perplexed in Texas

Ed Jordan
Wichita Falls, TX

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
The mold looks like it got hot and started to melt. You say you used the same number of drops of mekp as you do with knife scales; do you make the block for the scales that thick? If not maybe you put too much mekp for the thickness of the block and it got wayyy too hot. The thicker the block the less mekp you need.

It's a theory anyway.

GK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom