What a disaster.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

So I decided to try my hand at some ribbon pens. I made my ribbon. Cut and bent it to early and it was breaking but I got it in my molds. My 3/4" molds did ok but my 2'x3/4" was a disaster. I wanted to do black and purple so I waited for it to thicken before pouring. I got it right but then decised to give it 45 more secons.......mistake.

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

So after it plopped down on the mold I whipped up some black and tried my best to fill the holes. Guess I will find out if it worked later.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

If your ribbons were already set up and in the mold there isn't any reason to wait for the other color to gel. You actually want the resin to be as thin as possible so it can seep into any small areas. Using pressure would be ideal for that but not 100% neccesary. If you give it another try don't wait for the resint to gel, especially if you're only doing 1 color.

With the block you just poured, if you can cut off that top section that's a blob of resin you might be able to refill some major voids and salvage your work.

Another tip, once you know the resin is too far gone don't bother trying to use it. Write it off as a learning experience and just mix up another cup of resin. It'll save you major headaches in the future....trust me!

Justturnin

hahahah.....I see him.

Well I cut him up and there are some air pockets but most are small. I am hoping I will be able to turn through and fill w/ CA. We'll see.

Justturnin

So why you using a 2'x3/4" mold anyway??

It was supposed to be 1 3/4" so I could cut 2 3/4"sq blanks out of it. I didn't realize my mistake until the first time I trimmed up the blanks and had about 1/4" of waste. I am going to start putting tongue depressers to fill in the dead space then cut them off.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I am going to start putting tongue depressers to fill in the dead space then cut them off.

How about using your wasted resin? Save you some money on tongue
depressors, plus you know it is compatible.. :tongue: It will give you a solid
fill, and you won't have to worry about the level dropping as the liquid
resin migrates to fill in air spaces. I keep some blocks of cured resin that
have been re-cast 20-30 times as space fillers.

Top Bottom