What did I do wrong

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jack barnes

Yesterday was the first time I used Silmar 41 for casting. I got the affect of the colors I wanted, and it seems cured but when I sawed it into blanks you can bend and twist them. I used 3 drops of MEKP per ounce. What did I do wrong?

Jack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Yesterday was the first time I used Silmar 41 for casting. I got the affect of the colors I wanted, and it seems cured but when I sawed it into blanks you can bend and twist them. I used 3 drops of MEKP per ounce. What did I do wrong?

Jack

Use more catalyst. I use 5 drops per ounce. It should eventually become firm and to help it along if you have a oven for casting put it on the lowest setting and let it heat for about 90 minutes (125degrees) or put it outside in the sun. Casting is an experimenting experience and everyone's experience is different. But when you find your formula make sure you note what you are doing. At times you may need to adjust according to weather conditions and air temps. So you did not do anything wrong.

Last edited:

DurocShark

All the catalyst does is kick off a thermal reaction, cooking the resin from the inside out. Putting it in the oven just cooks it from the outside in.

I generally use less than recommended catalyst and finish the cure in my toaster oven.

JerrySambrook

Jack,
The problem is you started to do some casting.:wink:
You have local members to contact if/when you want blanks, never mind the vendors:biggrin:

And no, I am NOT talking about me

jack barnes

Jerry I've been playing around with casting for a year, it's just this is the first I've used Silmar 41. Boy do I know that, I have some of Neil's and Charlie's blanks.

Jack

KDM

Heh. Mine give off fumes unless I roll up my left trouser leg and stick my right elbow in my ear, in which case all goes fine.

jskeen

Heck, I find that if I don't close the door to the shop when casting, the vapors don't concentrate properly, and I don't get a consistent buzz before the blanks come out of the oven. This causes the colors to fail to bleed and vaportrail correctly, and seems to have a negative effect on my turntable's reproduction of "The Dark Side of the Moon" for some strange reason.

OKLAHOMAN

Yea but none of those will work if you don't sit down rise your right leg and move it clockwise while rubbing your stomach with your left hand in the counterclockwise position and licking your nose.

el_d

Yea but none of those will work if you don't sit down rise your right leg and move it clockwise while rubbing your stomach with your left hand in the counterclockwise position and licking your nose.

Roy, you forgot the part about saying the words to summon the invisable swordsman.....

Top Bottom