video casting tutorial pt 1&2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Zander and Ms. Emma ... Thanks for the two videos. I do believe that you two are having a great time doing all this casting. Great job on the videos and I am sure you will improve as time goes on.

Suggestions ...
[1] Use clear packing tape along the exposed edges of the mold. Simply remove the tape when finished and the top is clean.
[2] Get everything setup and in the order that it is to be used. Video these items early on and give folks a chance to 'look' them over. Be sure to have product names visible.
[3] Lose the clutter around the work area. This will help make the video easier to view by others.
[4] As posted earlier up the thread USE A TRIPOD wild man as these videos definitely make some of us have the hibbie gibbies and such not. Write out a script and draw up a story board of the various steps so that you can follow the procedures smoothly and not 'forget' a step.
[5] Instead of heating water why not heat the resins in their own containers? The larger volume of resin wold hold the heat longer for you! Put the resin container in a plastic baggie and then into the warm/hot water. Be sure to mention the temperature you have found to work best for you. Removing the containers from the baggies prior to use and well away from the pour site will go a long ways in keeping all water out of and well away from the molding process ... BIG PROBLEM if there is a spill or even a drop as water and the resins do not mix. If you cannot heat them this way, use two cups -one in the hot water and the resin filled cup in it. Lift only the resin filled one out of the water when ready to use. That way the cup is dry as can be.
[6] In the end of your videos have Emma write out a poster board with the name of the materials you have used, and if possible, your favorite sources for these materials. Also list the amounts of each item used. Be sure to allow folks enough time to read the list ... of course there is such a thing as a PAUSE BUTTON on the video and that can serve the same purpose.
[7] More Emma and her great smile! BTW ... ya done very good here my friend as others have also pointed out!

Congratulations to both of you on a job well done. Keep up the great work! :biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dustygoose

Very informative. Thanks for the time to do this for those of us that want to try casting. Now for a list of where to get smaller quantities of resin. I don't think I want to try a 1 gallon batch yet...lol.

Oh yes, More Emma

Pioneerpens

great video you two!! helped me 'tweak' my process a bit...will give it a go and see how it turns out...i've been getting too much seperation but seeing how/when you added the second color really helped!!
Thanks!

turbowagon

Holy sh**! Anyone else see a ghost of Frank Sinatra in that mold?
lol.gif

resin_sinatra.JPG

frank_sinatra.JPG

Parson

Zander and Emma: Thank you for this. My wife and I just watched it and she said, "we can do that! Let's give it a try!"

What I would love from you is a written list of items you used for this video and where I can buy them. Where's the best place to get the Mica powders? How about that mold? And how much PR do you buy and where do you buy it?

That's what I need now. Sorry, but you'l have to make another video and say it if you don't want to write it out :)

Stick Rounder

Because I obviously don't know how long to wait before I mix in the second color nor what the consistency should be.

Try - mistake, Try - mistake, Try - success, repeat.

ZanderPommo

Zander and Emma: Thank you for this. My wife and I just watched it and she said, "we can do that! Let's give it a try!"

What I would love from you is a written list of items you used for this video and where I can buy them. Where's the best place to get the Mica powders? How about that mold? And how much PR do you buy and where do you buy it?

That's what I need now. Sorry, but you'l have to make another video and say it if you don't want to write it out :)

mica powders-coastalscents
i buy silmar 41 clear polyester casting resin by the gallon from us composites. the mold i traded from a member here for and he made it in the method illustrated in the IAP library

ZanderPommo

Do not need to try, mistake, try, mistake.
Zander and Emma showed me how.
Thanks, guys.

Lee

the reason we looked at the time in between vids as unimportant is because depending on the amount of catalyst, temp of room, humidity, and color of mica used will make it vary anywhere from 5 min to gel to an hour. checking constantly is the only way to do it consistantly.
in our case it was around 5-8 min between videos

Top Bottom