Vacuum chamber

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Steve Lowe

G.day all I have a question for all who could give me the answer and will thank everybody in advance I am thinking of casting my own blanks and I thought I would use a pressure pot but I have been told I dont need one but to use a vacuum chamber to cast the resin blanks has anyone have any thoughts on this
Thanks again Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

In general terms, casting should be done with a pressure pot, and wood stabilisation with a vacuum chamber.

Putting a fresh poured resin mold in the vacuum chamber, will make the resin to foam and spill resin all over, unless you have a mold that has a fairly tall walls, the other problem is also that, when the resin foams/boils if has the risk of getting the resin to set while the foam is still happening, making you blanks to look like Swiss cheese, (exceptions do apply). This would also spoil any chance of mix colour separation.

For casting pen blanks, pressure pot will be your best friend...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
The general rule of thumb is pressure for casting, vacuum for stabilizing.
Polyester resins like Silmar will set too quickly for vacuum, and if you are careful, you don't need pressure. Urethane resins like Alumilite need pressure or you will end up with bubbles in your cast.
Use vacuum with stabilizing resins like Cactus Juice. This will pull the air out of the wood and allow the solution to better penetrate the wood.
For more info, check out the library for more info on casting and Turntex.com for info on stabilizing.

BSea

If you're going to cast with PR (Polyester Resin), you don't even need a pressure pot. While some use a pressure pot for PR, many don't. If you're going to use Alumilite, then it depends on the type of Alumilite. I use Alumilite clear, and I a pressure pot is required. I've been told that if you use alumilite white, then a pressure pot isn't required.

Steve Lowe

And thanks George. Hey George mate your right about the bansia pods easier to get them in South oz if you want bull banksias but got a very nice swamp banksia tree 5 houses up the street from me i have been walking past it for the last 35 years and never noticed it there till now I now have a very good supply hehe

Top Bottom