Vaccum pump for stabilizing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaTurner83

I have been tossing around idea of trying to stabilize some wood.I can get a good deal on a 1.5 cfm pump.Would it be sufficient for stabilizing or would a larger pump ssay2.5 cfm or bigger provide better results?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I have been tossing around idea of trying to stabilize some wood.I can get a good deal on a 1.5 cfm pump.Would it be sufficient for stabilizing or would a larger pump ssay2.5 cfm or bigger provide better results?

It really depends on what the maximum vacuum it will generate. Higher CFM will not remove any more air, it will just do it quicker. If the pump specs say it will generate 29" Hg, then it will be good to go. If the pump is rated in microns like many HVAC pumps, then anything LESS than 100 microns is also good. 100 microns equates to 29.916" Hg at sea level or a 99.99% vacuum.

GaTurner83

Thanks Curtis.The pump I am looking at is suppose to be rated aat75 micron.It is similar to the one from harbor freight.

Justturnin

I have the HF pump (the cheaper one) and I am pulling about 28.5. I have moved some fittings, eliminated fittings an that is as good as it gets for me at sea level for the most part. I have shut the valve to everything bu the pump and the vacuum held in the tank for 2 hours so there is no leak. I should be able to get 29+ but the pump cant do it. I read that if you put a better oil in it could help so I went to grainger and got some good stuff. I may try to flush the old oil out this weekend and try it out. We'll see. No matter what the pump worked great and my first test blank doubled in weight.

Last edited:

parawood

I bought the bigger HF vacuum pump (3.5 cfm) and am able to reach 29.5 on Curtis' gauge. It might be better to look for a discount coupon and get the bigger one. Just my $.02.

Karl

GaTurner83

I was looking at the bigger one their website.I have plenty of 20% cuopons from HF I get them in the Sunday paper.With the coupon I could get the bigger one for about the same price or a little more.That maybe the way to go.

Top Bottom