Vac reading 27.5 is that enough

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PerryS

Hi all. My vac guage is reading 27.5 and I'm not getting full penetration. Is 27.5 enough vacuum? What readings do you get? Very dry 0% spalted alder. Held vac for an hour and 45 minutes. No bubbles at all. Let soak overnight. Outside of the blanks very hard but had to add thin superglue by the time I had the barrels turned down almost all the way. I'm thinking vac leak. Any help would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

You may indeed have a leak which would show up as the pump cycling often or running continuously. Your gauge may be off from a true reading and everything is okay. You must also take into account your elevation above sea level. The higher you are the less you can draw.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Like Monty said, your maximum theoretical vacuum for your elevation is 29.38" Hg. You should be able to easily see 29"+ if you are using an oil filled rotary vane pump. You mention that you held vacuum for 1:45. Do you mean you shut off a valve and held the vacuum or you had the pump running the entire time? You need to have the pump running to keep the vacuum level as high as possible. At a 27.5" vacuum, you are only pulling a 93.6% vacuum which translates to removing 93.6% of the air in the wood at best. The more air you remove, the more resin you get back in.

To check for leaks, pull a full vacuum with your chamber and apply shaving cream to any fittings and place where a leak could occur. If there is a leak, the shaving cream will disappear at the leak and you will know what to work on. You can also take the gauge off your chamber and hook it up directly to the pump to see if the pump is pulling full vacuum and or the gauge is good.

In reality, 1:45 is not very long to be pulling vacuum on pen blanks. I have never had any stop bubbling in that short of an amount of time at full vacuum.

PerryS

So I think it's my jury rigged setup. I just ordered the complete vacuum breaker system to add to the tank I bought from Curtis. I should have bought it all at once but with all the fittings I had here I thought I could rig something up. Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom