Using A Crock Pot - Do I Need The Insert

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

I use an old crock pot to warm up the resin when I do castings. Assuming the lid fit isn't an issue, if the insert isn't there I can get more room to do more pours. the silicone molds should not be an issue sitting directly on the metal bottom of the crock pot, correct?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

If anything does melt against the metal, you will likely have a hard time getting it off.
I'd recommend a metal or foil pan of some kind on the bottom.
That way you could still use it for soap later on:biggrin:

crokett

This is an old crock pot I got at a yard sale. I'm looker than I smart :wink: and wouldn't use my wife's from the kitchen. I may keep a roll of foil out here just to be able to keep resin off the bottom. Not because I care about the crock pot per se, just that it keeps molds, etc from sticking to the bottom.

Bikerdad

Crock pots are engineered with the use of the crock in mind. The "pot" is NOT well sealed. It is not insulated in the least. And it WILL have hot spots. Solving all of these problems is the job of the crock, which it does quite well. If you want your resin to be all warm and snuggly, then use the crock.

TonyL

I think you know the answer is yes. I had the same question when we bought ours. :)

Top Bottom