Using an air compressor for vacuum pump

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flash880

I was wanting to stabilize some blanks that i have so i can sell them, and was wandering if i could hook up the vacuum side of my air compressor to create a vacuum. It maybe a dumb question but i would appreciate some input. thankyou

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I was wanting to stabilize some blanks that i have so i can sell them, and was wandering if i could hook up the vacuum side of my air compressor to create a vacuum. It maybe a dumb question but i would appreciate some input. thankyou

A diaphragm vacuum pump is basically an air compressor turned around! I would think it MAY work but MAY ruin your compressor too since it is not designed for this application and may not have the proper components to deal with the added load since it is used to free air. Also, I seriously doubt it will produce enough vacuum to do a good job.

tim self

A venturi pump will work. Depending on your chamber, it will draw it down to 29" of vacuum. It's the old school way we used for drawing a vacuum on vehicle AC systems. Works especially well for a small chamber, just make sure you have a way of disconnecting that will not loose the vacuum.

But as Curtis stated, running the compressor for extended periods of time can be unhealthy for the compressor.

Last edited:

JRay8

leehljp

Member Liaison
I had a second air compressor in Japan and did the very thing you are asking. It worked OK but there were some caveats. It was hard to find a vac in Japan and when I did, the one like HF's $100 unit cost the equivalent of $400. So I just made my own.

It did a good job but, but, but, the vapor caused rust to form and I had to take the head off every two or three weeks and clean the head valves. Not a good use over a medium or long term.

Since I didn't do much stabilizing, about twice a year over a couple of weeks, it did just OK. It is not worth it if that is the only compressor you have. What the other fellows said would be more viable, IMO.

Top Bottom