Unusual things

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldubia

I am wondering what some of the weird ideas people have come up with to cast blanks. In this I mean the material you have cast in resin to make the blank. I would love to hear some of your thoughts on this. I keep trying new things all the time...and some of them even work out!:rolleyes::biggrin:

I would love to hear what you all have to say about it.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

navycop

I am wondering what some of the weird ideas people have come up with to cast blanks. In this I mean the material you have cast in resin to make the blank. I would love to hear some of your thoughts on this. I keep trying new things all the time...and some of them even work out!:rolleyes::biggrin:

Thanks.

I tried sand once from the beach (wanted to make Virginia Beach souvenier pens). It turned into concrete. What are some of yours?

panamag8or

Thanks.

I tried sand once from the beach (wanted to make Virginia Beach souvenier pens). It turned into concrete. What are some of yours?

I read that would happen, so I thought about just coating the tube with glue and rolling in the sand, to get a thick coat. Let dry, cast in clear, and when you turn it down, it looks like sand. Haven't tried it, yet, though, but it should work.

It seems like it would come under R&D for Curtis to do a thorough testing for stabilization of this type of material. Cactus Juice users should be supported in this matter from the manufacturer! Seems like Curtis would be on this!

Kenny Durrant

I have a friend that had a friend in the pet shop buss. I cast pens with geckos, monators, iguanas,ribbon snakes, and boas. He had some tortouises but that fell apart at the last minute. I think it would have made some nice inlays.

jttheclockman

Everything at one time was unusual. When it first got shown here people started copying and expanding. Now the sky is the limit as to what can be encased in resin. I remember when I first started my metal series of casting. Brass, stainless, copper, and chrome weavings. I then added other materials. Then the carbon fiber craze started which is now common. Here are a few examples of what I had shown before in the casting clear resin area.

IMGP0619.jpg

IMGP0622.jpg

IMGP0543.jpg

RedCopperSierra.jpg

Tim'sTurnings

I have a small vial of gold flakes I purchased at an auction and was wondering how I would go about casting it.
Could I use a black painted tube, roll it in some thick CA then roll it in the gold flakes and cast in clear PR????
Would this work? If anyone has tried this please let me know. I have seen some pens with gold flakes in them but I don't know how I should make mine. I don't want to ruin/waste the real gold flakes.

(I don't intend to hijack this thread but I thought this would be a good place to post my question).
Tim.

Sylvanite

I have a small vial of gold flakes I purchased at an auction and was wondering how I would go about casting it.Tim.
If it were me, I'd paint the tube, put a layer of CA on it, and then glue on some flakes as you describe. Then I'd put on another layer of CA and one of flakes. I'd repeat until it was built up to just under the desired height, and finish it up with more CA. That way, there woudl be a look of depth to the gold. That's basically how I do my money pens. If something went wrong, the gold could be salvaged by soaking the blank in acetone.

To return to the original topic, probably the most unusual material I've cast (or glued-up) is gunpowder.

Regards,
Eric

ldubia

I have done some unusual things (for me) but the sand, gun powder (Oh My!) and Curtis Classic are the true monsters of creation.

I have wadded sparkly ribbons into the mold and cast which turn out real nice. Layered metal flake is always a fun one. That is a lot of work though. Lately, I have been playing with some new material which requires first casting, then stabilization. I will post pics after the pen is finished. Pot scrubbers are always fun. I also took colored copper wire in red, silver, and blue and wadded up sections of each to make a patriotic type pen. The balls of wire have to be fairly tight wads going all directions for best effect.

As for the gold flakes, I would do as stated here. a drop of glue, put the flake on...or smear glue and drop flakes on. Cure and add some glue over the top. repeat until desired depth is reached. Try to do it on a pen that has some thickness to the material after turning otherwise the material you wanted to show may be removed.

Top Bottom