Uncured Alumilite Clear

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

This is just for observation. My Alumilite is fine, but having gotten new Cactus Juice and stabilizing some worthless wood along with casting some geometric Alumilite pieces, I was anxious to cast some blanks with some color and see the outcome.

Using a larger silicone mold I laid my geometric pieces in, secured pieces of stabilized worthless wood and added colors to two different batches of Alumilite. Mixed the first cup and waited a bit before getting ready to mix the second cup. Received a business phone call and proceeded to fail at multitasking. Poured part B into second batch, checked temperature of first batch. Poured it into mold over pieces then poured second batch in. It mixed a little but not as much as hoped for, but was still going to look good. Put in pot under pressure and headed back up to office.

Finished my call, started back to work and wondered if I mixed part B on the second batch or just poured it in with part A. A few hours later had proven I failed to mix the parts as I had a sticky green mess over the top of my wonderful orange bottom layer.

I had cast a few medallions out of the leftover green. Since they did not cure either, I removed them from the molds and stuck them on top of a cardboard box flap. All attempted to get the main cast to cure failed, but interestingly, here is what happened to the pieces on the box.
IMG_0198.JPG

Foamy, but hard. Must have reacted with something in the cardboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Kenny Durrant

Could've been moisture in the box? I've found that Alumilite will react to any moisture at all. If I make sure everything is completely dry I seldom have problems with the resin.

MRDucks2

I know I didn't mix this one, and have seen cloudiness as I am learning which I expected was from moisture. The foaming was something but more surprising was the fact that it hardened when nothing else I did with that batch made it harden.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom