Turning Time Upside Down

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

I was hoping to show this one off in "Show Off Your Pens", but an unfortunate mistake got in the way...

Most of my watch part pens have been on single tube pens, where I don't really care most of the time which end is which, because they are usually the same diameter (Sierras, Bolt Actions, Polaris).

But this one, I turned the two halves with TBC, so I never really set the whole pen up and looked at it liked I should have.

So, now, my question is, should I disassemble the top and recast it (done in PR)? I've had good luck in recasting blanks in clear PR after a piece has chipped off or something similar.

My wife didn't find it all that odd, but I don't think I can live with it this way... Too bad, I was really happy with how it came out. Well, almost...

-gary

Attachments

• Cigar Watch 1.jpg
    Cigar Watch 1.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 245
  • Cigar Watch 2.jpg
    Cigar Watch 2.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 203
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Gary, I "just" made sort of the same mistake--mixed up the four TBC bushings on a circuit board Cigar. I jammed the completed blanks (mistake noticed during assembly) into my Sierra mold, filled with PR and...it came out like new. The re-cast is not noticeable at all. My vote is to take it apart and re-cast as I couldn't live with that either.

Regards,
Michael

vtgaryw

LOL, glad I'm not the only one.

That's what I'm going to do. Since the blanks are already finished, will the PR adhere well with a smooth, glass-like surface, or should it be roughed up some?

-gary

mecompco

LOL, glad I'm not the only one.

That's what I'm going to do. Since the blanks are already finished, will the PR adhere well with a smooth, glass-like surface, or should it be roughed up some?

-gary

I didn't rough it up at all as in my case, I had to leave some of the new PR. IIRC, I gave it a quick swipe w/acetone to remove any wax or finger oils and put it right into the mold--the PR adhered with no problems and the repair is invisible. As always, YMMV.

Regards,
Michael

thewishman

I finally figured out a system that works for me with the cigar bushings. There are two pairs that roughly match in size - the biggest of the big pair and biggest of the small pair goes on top and the the leftovers go on the bottom.

Had a special casting demo at the Central Ohio Woodturners club meeting, my sample pen was a cigar and I had the long barrel on top :redface::mad::redface: I had to take the refill out so it wouldn't be too obvious.:redface::redface:

Top Bottom