Tube plugs for casting snakeskin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

armyturner

There have been a couple of people lately that have said that PR has made it past the corks while casting snakeskin. Has anyone ever tried using the silicone plugs used for powdercoating to plug the tubes. I am not sure how much you guys are paying for the corks, but I have found prices on the plugs starting at about $0.04 for 1/4" to $0.49 for 1".

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rickbw

Jeremy,

I have had problems with "seep thru" on cork and your posting definitely interested me. I attempted to purchase some plugs from your suggested source, but they have a $50 minimum (or so they stated when I attempted to place an order) - Have you bought anything from them?

THX!

its_virgil

If the wooden standoffs are used to hold the tubes off eht bottome of the molds (as I do in my tutorial) then someone needs to test and see if CA will stick to the silicone to stick the plugs to the wooden standoffs. Or, figure out something else to use for the standoffs. Just thinking here...it does get me in trouble at times.
do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by rickbw
<br />Jeremy,

I have had problems with "seep thru" on cork and your posting definitely interested me. I attempted to purchase some plugs from your suggested source, but they have a $50 minimum (or so they stated when I attempted to place an order) - Have you bought anything from them?

THX!

alamocdc

Don, if CA doesn't work, silicone adhesive (caulk) should. But your post got me to thinking aobut something else. We know that wood and cork don't react to the PR in an adverse way. But what about the silicone? I'll try a small test using a dried silicone caulk glob and clear PR and post the result.

Unless someone has already tested silicone in PR. If you have, stop me.[;)]

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />If the wooden standoffs are used to hold the tubes off eht bottome of the molds (as I do in my tutorial) then someone needs to test and see if CA will stick to the silicone to stick the plugs to the wooden standoffs. Or, figure out something else to use for the standoffs. Just thinking here...it does get me in trouble at times.
do a good turn daily!
Don

Drill a hole in the wood standoffs and push the plugs through them or how about just a half "shelf" to sit them on? [;)]

On the subject of thinking... Couldn't you make your own silicone plugs from a tube of silicone? [:0]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Since we are thinking.

The site implies that you CAN get samples. They also have an assortment available, but I could not find a description of what's in it.

I COULD call them and get samples, etc. HOWEVER, I am in Wi, 5-6 days shipping away from them, in CA. Who, within a day of CA has the time to contact them and get product and do quick test pour over the 3 day weekend???

If no one comes forward by tomorrow, it won't get done this weekend anyhow and I will pursue it next week.

alamocdc

Ed, I'm not sure the sample thing would be necessary. I had an id10t error (read idiot) when I brought it up. Matt (Gadget) has been selling silicone molds for casting PR (and I even have two of them [:0][B)]) and no negative effects have been reported.

So I'll go back to my original "I'm in" statement with Jim heading the group buy.[}:)][:D]

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Flip it, the plugs won't react to the PR and CA won't stick. In all the tutorials it is recommended to CA the corks into the tubes to prevent leaks. I would think this trebly important if you were going to do vacuum (which would pull the plugs out) followed by pressure (which would push the PR around the loose plugs). Any ideas on how to stick the silicone plugs into the tube in a vacuum-proof way?
GK

JimGo

If you're using molds like Gadget sold, or really any other kind of mold, why not just put a stick or other pressure piece on the end of the stopper to keep it from coming free? Or am I being too simplistic?

JimGo

BTW, have you guys been part of the group buys I've run? They don't usually go too smoothly - be careful whom you nominate! No, Mr's Burt and Brown (and even the recently-retired Mr. Ward), they got it goin' on.

its_virgil

I vacuum the resin in glass jars, not in the mold and poured around the tube and skins. I vacuum the resin, then pour it over the tubes in the mold, then apply pressure while it is curing. I run a bead of glue around the cork prior to inserting it into the ends of the tubes, and my success rate (of no leakage) is quite good. Maybe one tube in 10 0r 12. I'm not trying to interfer with the goup buy, just thinking out loud..through my fingers and looking ahead to potential failures.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Do a good turn daily1
Originally posted by gketell
<br />Flip it, the plugs won't react to the PR and CA won't stick. In all the tutorials it is recommended to CA the corks into the tubes to prevent leaks. I would think this trebly important if you were going to do vacuum (which would pull the plugs out) followed by pressure (which would push the PR around the loose plugs). Any ideas on how to stick the silicone plugs into the tube in a vacuum-proof way?
GK

alamocdc

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />If you're using molds like Gadget sold, or really any other kind of mold, why not just put a stick or other pressure piece on the end of the stopper to keep it from coming free? Or am I being too simplistic?

Jim, simple... er, I mean great minds must work alike, 'cause I was thinkin' the same thing.

Originally posted by Blind_Squirrel
<br />Although it would take a day to set up, you could use 100% silicone caulk as the adhesive.

Has anyone tried the silicone based modelling clay from Amaco or... what is the name of that company that Mesquiteman gets his resin from? to plug tubes prior to casting? It would be reusable and only a few dollars per pound. It may be availble at your local Michael's, A.C. Moore, Hobby Lobby, ECT. If so don't forget your discount coupons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom