Tube-In Casting - Resin Leakage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dachshund1

12-17

Gang:

I'm just delving into casting my own tube-in blanks - most of which are wrapped using various decorative paper (e.g., Chiyogami, Florentine, etc.)

I allow ample drying time for the glue under the paper - as well as a surface sealant over the paper - and cast the blanks @ 60 psi using Liquid Diamonds and Fred Wissen's silicone molds.

It took me several runs to diagnose the subtle, lighter-shaded "blotches" that were occurring around the middle of each blank - almost like water stains or "foxing," if you're into vintage artwork.

As it turns out, these lighter-shaded areas were NOT damage at all - but rather "surviving" undamaged areas where the resin hadn't permeated between the tube and the paper; resin (under excessive pressure, presumably) was slowly being forced under the paper from each end - giving the colorful patterns a very muted, muddy (but relatively uniform) look. (I supposed if one is seeking an antique, sepia-tone look - this might be considered an artistic technique rather than a production flaw).:biggrin:

At any rate, here's my question: Will reducing the pressure down to 30 psi (for example) solve this problem - or do I need to look at sealing the tube ends prior to casting? If the latter, what are folks using? I tried thin CA on a couple of test blanks, and it wicked up into and stained the paper (other papers, however, seemed to be unaffected).

I'd love NOT to have to add another step in my manufacturing process - but will obviously do whatever is needed to get a product I can be proud of.

In advance, thanks for any insights you're able to provide.

Terry

P.S. A search of the archives failed to reveal much re: this issue.

thewishman

When I do anything wrapping the tube, I fold it over at the ends and tuck the stoppers in, holding the paper/foil/label tight. Sometimes, a blank here or there will have something go wrong, sometimes it is a whole batch. Can't explain what goes wrong, most of the time things go right.

Top Bottom