Tried to cast pen blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
I've been around resins most of my life, but I've never made a pen blank. I read on here, along with other places, about making pen blanks.

It's pretty simple compared to doing lay-ups or prototypes. I haven't done anything with resins for quite some time now, but I don't miss the aroma.

Anyway, here is my first attempts at pen blanks. I'll be attempting more soon, I hope.

Be gentle on your assessment.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
Thanks. I have another one in the pvc, but it was still too sticky, so I will get it out later. I'm in no hurry.
I guess 5" is a good length from my reading, and these are almost 5.5".
If I get feeling better, I would like to attempt a 5' pen blank. Buttons are made from 10'-15' rods, and then sliced on a cutting machine. The resin is swirled on a table that funnels into the pipes. At least they used to be, and I would like to try something of that length.

Sabaharr

They look great now but always look better on the inside. Good luck with a 5' one. Might be tough to coax out of a PVC mold if it has one little ripple imperfection on the ID (and most do). Pouring it would be interesting too as I would think most would end up running down one side or the other. Who knows, might turn out you are a genius for coming up with a great new method. Keep up the great work with the little ones though.

MikeinSC

Those look great. A 5" blank will be enough for most pens unless you're doing kitless with a nib section with the same material. Then a longer blank would be needed.

I usually see about 1/4" shrinkage when I pour my blanks. I pour to about 5.5" to get right around a 5.25" blank.

For blanks that don't want to come out, I put them in a cold oven. Set the temp to 170°, the timer at 25 minutes. When the timer hits zero, they get pulled and set aside to cool. Typically they will come out after that for me.

Last edited:

Terredax

Banned
It's not that it wouldn't come out, it just wasn't cured enough. I went back out and it slipped out without issue. I'll place a photo below.

I would never place chemicals in an oven. They will leave a toxic residue and will contaminate any food placed in the oven. Also, an open flame and the resin fumes create a combustible environment that can potentially be dangerous. I've seen some consequences first hand. Be careful, I wouldn't want anything bad to happen.

My last pen blank.
Actually, this was my first one. I used this one as a test for the catalyst ratio, and it was off. That is part of the reason for it taking longer to release. So, it blended a little more than I would've liked. It's red and gold, but has a nice orange blend.

BSea

Those are really good looking on the outside. And I'd bet the inside is spectacular. I like mine to be at the 5.25" mark so I can make a closed ended pen with a custom finial

le_skieur

I like your chosen colors!
What pigments brand have you used?

Last edited:

Terredax

Banned
I also would like to see if any of these will make a nice pen.

I have a Dr. appointment coming up and some medical bills expected to arrive any time. Once these two things are taken care of, I will see how much I have left over to spend on some pen kits.

I think I would like to test my ability on a rollerball kit. Are there any recommendations on which kit? Please keep in mind my limited budget, but I would like something nice, so I will use it and be proud to show it to others.

MikeinSC

My go to is the Baron for rollerball and on Beartoothwoods.com, they average $10-15 each plus the bushings. $6 for priority shipping. The Orion is essentially the same but the cap doesn't post because the barrel is longer and the grip section has a different design. That is also a nice one.

The Baron uses 15/32 and 25/64 drill bits which are easily found at Lowes. No need for special pen drill bits.

You'd likely spend $35-40 in total for the kit, bushing, drill bit and shipping.

For my tastes, they are perfect because they don't have the extra bling a lot of kits do.

Heck, I might even have an Orion kit laying around you can have if interested.

MikeinSC

For reference, here's a Baron that I use everyday at work next to a slimline that I use everyday at work.

Attachments

• _20151108_182053.jpg
    _20151108_182053.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 147

Rink

For a great combination of class and simplicity, it's hard to beat an Atrax. Less than $15, I believe. Suggest you spend another couple bucks and get the postable end cap. The Atrax is heavy and oozes quality, in my opinion. Also, it uses 10.5 and 12.5mm drill bits...and you can use those on a bunch of other kit styles.

Next option for me would be the Triton. More expensive...in the $19 range. But a bit more bling, not too much, but a real attention-getter.

Your blanks are awesome. Makes me want to get into casting my own blanks...and I WILL...eventually. Your color combinations are great.

If you want to make a couple in the rust/bronze color family, I would buy a couple, if you want to sell some. Also, perhaps something in blue...

Terredax

Banned
I looked up the Orion, it appears it's exclusive to Woodturningz?
I like how it looks and I also like the Baron.

I also looked up the Atrax, it seems to be more readily available from many sources. I'm not sure I like the end on it. It is the same size as the pen and looks awkward. I would like it to have a taper to it or some rings around it. Something to separate it from the rest of the pen.

I also found the Majestic. I really like that pen kit, but I don't think I can justify the cost as a beginner. With my luck, I would ruin it on my best day.

I think the Orion, Baron, and Atrax all would fit in my budget and I would be happy to show those to friends and family.

There are so many options, I just need to jump in I guess.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Skie_M

I looked up the Orion, it appears it's exclusive to Woodturningz?
I like how it looks and I also like the Baron.

I also looked up the Atrax, it seems to be more readily available from many sources. I'm not sure I like the end on it. It is the same size as the pen and looks awkward. I would like it to have a taper to it or some rings around it. Something to separate it from the rest of the pen.

I also found the Majestic. I really like that pen kit, but I don't think I can justify the cost as a beginner. With my luck, I would ruin it on my best day.

I think the Orion, Baron, and Atrax all would fit in my budget and I would be happy to show those to friends and family.

There are so many options, I just need to jump in I guess.

Thanks for the suggestions!

If you like the Majestic, perhaps you should have a look at the Jr Majestic? It's smaller and doesn't cost quite so much, although it's still a little expensive. There are a lot of options for pen kits in the 8 to 12 dollar range, and also options for pens in the 12 to 20 dollar range, before you get into the really high-dollar pen kits.

Sabaharr

When it was suggested that you heat your blanks in an oven it is assumed that most casters have a dedicated toaster oven for that purpose, heating molds, baking stabilized blanks, and such things. Using mama's oven in the kitchen is greatly frowned upon by this community mostly because we like having you around. So hit Goodwill and pick up a toaster oven for about $10 and when you start casting blanks in silicon molds you will already have it. Until then use it to loosen stuck blanks. If you ever start stabilizing wood blanks it is a must.

Skie_M

When it was suggested that you heat your blanks in an oven it is assumed that most casters have a dedicated toaster oven for that purpose, heating molds, baking stabilized blanks, and such things. Using mama's oven in the kitchen is greatly frowned upon by this community mostly because we like having you around. So hit Goodwill and pick up a toaster oven for about $10 and when you start casting blanks in silicon molds you will already have it. Until then use it to loosen stuck blanks. If you ever start stabilizing wood blanks it is a must.

Worse than using mom's ....

Using your wife's .... without permission, and ruining it (the smell can linger a while).

Definitely pick up a used one, or buy her a new one and co-opt the old one for the workshop.

Sabaharr

Worse than using mom's ....

Using your wife's .... without permission, and ruining it (the smell can linger a while).

Definitely pick up a used one, or buy her a new one and co-opt the old one for the workshop.

In my case the reference to Mama is the wife.

Terredax

Banned
I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or just post in this one, so I will put it here.
I did another batch of blanks, but I was asked if I could make them "sparkly". So I made these with some large particle powder.

Terredax

Banned
I'm guessing I should have started a new thread for these? Maybe most people have looked at this thread once and didn't return, and don't realize I added these?
Should a new thread be started for additional items, other than comments and responses? I didn't want to seem like a post hog just to show a photo.

Anyway, if you happen to see them, any critiques?

Terredax

Banned
It's an aluminum powder. It comes in various sizes and in other non-ferrous metals as well. The aluminum is least likely to oxidize in the container, between uses.

Skie_M

They look really nice! :)

Give people a few days to come back through and look to see what's new ... some people have jobs, others have kids ... life is life! :)

Terredax

Banned
I realize life is more important than a forum or pens.
I just thought maybe once people viewed a thread, they didn't re-visit thinking photos were added.
Is it normal to place another thread for new photos?
I'm just trying to get a feel for what the best approach would be.

Rink

Sappheiros: you can subscribe to a thread and get email notification when new posts are made. Would that help you?

Sappheiros

I feel like that could get a little crazy. I guess I'm thinking more of a Facebook-esque notification center. My email would be popping! Good to know, though. Thanks! :D

Skie_M

I feel like that could get a little crazy. I guess I'm thinking more of a Facebook-esque notification center. My email would be popping! Good to know, though. Thanks! :D

You'ld only subscribe to the threads you want to keep track of ... :)

You can find the proper link at the top of the page in any thread...

attachment.php

Attachments

• subscribe.jpg
    subscribe.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 257

Brian G

I realize life is more important than a forum or pens.
I just thought maybe once people viewed a thread, they didn't re-visit thinking photos were added.
Is it normal to place another thread for new photos?
I'm just trying to get a feel for what the best approach would be.

As of this post, you have over 1100 views. It was 800 and change last night. People have been re-visiting. I'm not a fan of a new post for new photos. I like seeing the progress in one thread.

Nice blanks!

Terredax

Banned
I had a couple of people want me to make them some blanks, but with all of the available blanks, I doubt I would have a market for mine. I wouldn't even know how to go about selling blanks, I did it for fun and because the resin I used was inexpensive.

Since the only feedback on new threads for new photos states not preferred, I'll continue to add new blank photos to this thread as I make more.

I'll post a photo of the pen I make, if I ever get around to making it. :wink:

Top Bottom