Thin Coins - Page 4 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making > Casting & Stabilization
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casting & Stabilization Making your own blanks & stabilizing wood blanks.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #31 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Pot Chuck

One could always use a Pot Chuck like here: Pot Chuck.

I am sure that defacing any currency is punishable by law, including US dollar: Defacing US currency
Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #32 (permalink)
Vendor Liaison

Coins no longer have absolute value either, however, so they're representative as well...

However, I'm pretty sure we've had this conversation in the past with the scroll sawed coins!

"He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed."
maxwell_smart007 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #33 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell_smart007 View Post
Coins no longer have absolute value either, however, so they're representative as well...

However, I'm pretty sure we've had this conversation in the past with the scroll sawed coins!
United States coins intended for general circulation have not been made with precious metal since the 1964 Kennedy half dollar. The mint does make Silver and Gold Eagles intended for the precious metals market and they do make some silver coins to be included in proof sets for collectors.
Smitty37 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #34 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, now it looks like a vacuum chuck in the future for the mini mill.
dogcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #35 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu View Post
One could always use a Pot Chuck like here: Pot Chuck.

I am sure that defacing any currency is punishable by law, including US dollar: Defacing US currency
I believe that if you look at the coin thing the operative word becomes "fraudulently". Unless one was doing it on a massive scale there is nothing, to speak of, lost when a coin is defaced so the government doesn't use law enforcement resources going after people who do it. People offered painted statehood quarters almost as soon as the quarters became available never heard of anyone even getting a cease and desist letter.

People have altered USA coins since long before I was born and when they were made of precious metal there might have been some prosecutions for it. But, not all that long ago, the value of the silver in silver dollars exceeded a dollar by a great deal and millions were melted down - no one that I ever heard of was prosecuted for doing it.
Smitty37 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #36 (permalink)

Photos: 72

Speaking of thin coins, did anyone happen to catch the program "Mysterys at the Museum" last night? They were showing a display at the FBI Museum of a nickle that the Russians were using during the Cold War. It was cut in half, hollowed out like a film canaster, and used by agents to pass coded micro film stored inside. Now that's squeezing the crap out of the Buffalo on a nickle !!! Very good info on how to thin coins. Jim S

Last edited by plantman; 09-19-2012 at 08:23 PM.
plantman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-20-2015, 04:33 AM   #37 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjwebster View Post
Just an FYI - In England it is illegal to 'Deface a Coin of the Realm" and considered High Treason. Up until 1998 High Treason was punishable by death!!!!

I'm sure just one of those ancient laws that has never been changed..... but be careful!!!! 8-)
In that case .... make an imprint of the coin you wish to depict out of copper.... (take a thin sheet of copper and use a soft wooden tool to emboss the coin's features into the metal).

Then, take some flux and solder, and tin the surface so that it's a nice shiny silver color. Use a wire braid to remove any excess solder, so that you have a nice image. You can also fill or partially fill the back of the copper foil to give it a bit more durability for your bending.

Cut the coin shape out of your sheet of copper, and make it the thickness you desire, shape it to fit round your pen barrel, and finish as you wish.

Just make sure to include a printed disclaimer that "this is a partial image of a coin, not the real thing".

Attendance is not mandatory, unless you're addicted to turning pens.
Skie_M is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #38 (permalink)

I have several pounds worth of various European coins from my ten years being stationed over there. Time to do something with them.

I have learned to seek my happiness by limiting my desires, rather than in attempting to satisfy them.
― John Stuart Mill

The squirrel that you kill in jest, dies in earnest.
--Henry David Thoreau
BKind2Anmls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-03-2018, 10:42 PM   #39 (permalink)

An old thread I know, but I was wondering if anybody had anything new to add on how to make a coin thin for use in a pen blank. Thanks.
Pen Zen is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-03-2018, 11:16 PM   #40 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen Zen View Post
An old thread I know, but I was wondering if anybody had anything new to add on how to make a coin thin for use in a pen blank. Thanks.

New??? There are many threads on this here if doing a search for cutting coins. I have cut them using a jig to hold quarter on my wood lathe (just turned down to thickness I wanted) , others have used a metal lathe and I have also cut a quarter in half using a scrollsaw.Was challenged by the resident coin cutter here Seamus and proved it is possible. Boy this is an old thread.

Last edited by jttheclockman; 06-03-2018 at 11:17 PM.
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads