Thin Coins - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making > Casting & Stabilization
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casting & Stabilization Making your own blanks & stabilizing wood blanks.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Default Thin Coins

Everybody that has been here for more than a few months has seen the pens with coins in them, both whole coins and scroll sawed coins. Cool stuff.

So where do the thin coins come from? Not coins shops and not Ebay, you gotta do it yourself.
Here is how I do it, any ideas on how to make it easier are ALWAYS appreciated........

Simply put, I grind them on a 12" disc grinder. A 10" or an 8" would be fine too.
Holding the coin against the disc is the problem because the coins get HOT.
Enter a Vacuum Chuck.
Don't make it out of wood, it will catch on fire.
Don't make it out of plastic, it will melt.
I made one from Corian, it seems to work very well.
Aluminum would probably be better.

I threaded one end for a nipple for the vacuum hose, I drilled the other to make a "vacuum chamber" and used a forstner bit to make a recess for the coin. You'll have to experiment to see which bit works for each coin. This one is for a nickle.
img_0479.jpgimg_0480.jpg
Then I used a "whistler", a vacuum pump that uses a venturi to create vacuum using an air compessor. Harbor Freight sells them cheap. I took the plastic off mine and this is all it is......
img_0478.jpg
So now you can place a coin on the chuck, make sure you put the side you want to save TOWARDS the vacuum, and apply vacuum. If you have a good seal the coin will stick to the chuck and allow you to grind it down to the thickness you want. If you do not have a good seal the coin will be torn from the chuck, travel down with the dust, and be thrown out the exhaust chute. If you don't have a dust collector mounted the coin will embed itself in the drywall. DAMHIK.
img_0485.jpgimg_0486.jpg
So now you are grinding the coin (wearing eye protection), some of the more talented members out there will probably make a jig to keep the chuck straight on the wheel, I just eyeball it. You can watch the gap from the chuck to the disc get smaller as you grind, just keep it even.
After you have ground it to the thickness you want,
img_0489.jpg
you will have a very heat blackened coin. Ugly.
img_0487.jpg
Now just polish it. The polish that comes with the "Stick Fast" CA system works very well, so does an automotive type buffing compound.
img_0488.jpg
Now you have a thin polished coin, now what?
Bend it. Measure the tube you are going to wrap it around and use a similar sized punch to push it into a bending jig. The jig is a piece of wood with a hole drilled in it a little larger than the tube diameter. Bandsaw it in half lengthways and you have a bending jig.
img_0490.jpg
I put the marks on the back to align the face of the coin. This is kinda important, you might want the design vertical, you might want the design horizontal. You will not want the design crooked. Again, DAMHIK.
There you go, Thin, bent coins to wrap around your favorite pen tubes, ready to cast.
img_0491.jpg
So go get grinding and casting and post up some results........
Be safe

don't go there, under construction........
theidlemind is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 3

You are a hero!

5th place 2014 tube-on casting contest.
Joe S. is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Thank you for taking the time to present this tutorial. I have plans on attempting it soon and this will surely come in handy.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 150

Default Tru-Buffalo™ Nickel

It sure looks better cut out using a scroll saw!

.....................just sayin'
Attached Thumbnails
2012-02-12-23.20.29-1.jpg  

"My home is in Heaven. I'm just traveling through this world."
-Billy Graham
seamus7227 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus7227 View Post
It sure looks better cut out using a scroll saw!

.....................just sayin'
I agree, just beyond my abilities right now!
Maybe someday.
How do you thin out your coins?

Old 09-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 1

As an alternative call Seamus and have him send you a blank with coin in place.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by theidlemind View Post
Everybody that has been here for more than a few months has seen the pens with coins in them, both whole coins and scroll sawed coins. Cool stuff.

So where do the thin coins come from? Not coins shops and not Ebay, you gotta do it yourself.
Here is how I do it, any ideas on how to make it easier are ALWAYS appreciated........

Simply put, I grind them on a 12" disc grinder. A 10" or an 8" would be fine too.
Holding the coin against the disc is the problem because the coins get HOT.
Enter a Vacuum Chuck.
Don't make it out of wood, it will catch on fire.
Don't make it out of plastic, it will melt.
I made one from Corian, it seems to work very well.
Aluminum would probably be better.

I threaded one end for a nipple for the vacuum hose, I drilled the other to make a "vacuum chamber" and used a forstner bit to make a recess for the coin. You'll have to experiment to see which bit works for each coin. This one is for a nickle.
Attachment 81406Attachment 81407
Then I used a "whistler", a vacuum pump that uses a venturi to create vacuum using an air compessor. Harbor Freight sells them cheap. I took the plastic off mine and this is all it is......
Attachment 81408
So now you can place a coin on the chuck, make sure you put the side you want to save TOWARDS the vacuum, and apply vacuum. If you have a good seal the coin will stick to the chuck and allow you to grind it down to the thickness you want. If you do not have a good seal the coin will be torn from the chuck, travel down with the dust, and be thrown out the exhaust chute. If you don't have a dust collector mounted the coin will embed itself in the drywall. DAMHIK.
Attachment 81410Attachment 81409
So now you are grinding the coin (wearing eye protection), some of the more talented members out there will probably make a jig to keep the chuck straight on the wheel, I just eyeball it. You can watch the gap from the chuck to the disc get smaller as you grind, just keep it even.
After you have ground it to the thickness you want,
Attachment 81414
you will have a very heat blackened coin. Ugly.
Attachment 81412
Now just polish it. The polish that comes with the "Stick Fast" CA system works very well, so does an automotive type buffing compound.
Attachment 81413
Now you have a thin polished coin, now what?
Bend it. Measure the tube you are going to wrap it around and use a similar sized punch to push it into a bending jig. The jig is a piece of wood with a hole drilled in it a little larger than the tube diameter. Bandsaw it in half lengthways and you have a bending jig.
Attachment 81415
I put the marks on the back to align the face of the coin. This is kinda important, you might want the design vertical, you might want the design horizontal. You will not want the design crooked. Again, DAMHIK.
There you go, Thin, bent coins to wrap around your favorite pen tubes, ready to cast.
Attachment 81416
So go get grinding and casting and post up some results........
Be safe
Smitty37 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Thin Coins

That was a well presented tutorial. Thank you.

Why did you take the plastic cover off the Vaccum pump?

Ray
ironman123 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Much appreciated information, thanks for sharing. I tried to "grinding one down" on the belt sander using a wood block with a properly sized hole in it and set the wood on fire, burnt my fingers and ended up with a black quarter that was, in my mind and the pop machine's, useless. I have tons of Corian so I'll have to try that again......with gloves on.
WB
Old 09-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman123 View Post
Why did you take the plastic cover off the Vaccum pump?
I just wanted to see what was inside!
Did that to a wrist watch when I was younger, that was a can of worms/gears...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty37 View Post
As an alternative call Seamus and have him send you a blank with coin in place.....
Pretty much anyone can whip out a credit card and buy in to a game, I like to learn/earn my way in.
And then share the knowledge......

Old 09-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by theidlemind View Post
How do you thin out your coins?
I dont typically discuss my method of thinning my coins, mainly because i want others to have to figure it out on their own, the way I had to. If we all give away everything we know, then others are not encouraged to think about new and innovative things. Where is the challenge in that? With all of that being said, I will say your method is far from the way i do it, been there done that. However, very ingenious with a vacuum set up!

"My home is in Heaven. I'm just traveling through this world."
-Billy Graham
seamus7227 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads