Is there such a thing as too big of a pump for vacuum stabilizing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mdburn_em

I've found this pump for sale for $135. I'm thinking I should go for a drive tomorrow with the wife. She's partial to Carolina Bar-B-Q anyway.

I'm just not sure if there is such a thing as too big for what I'm trying to get into. My stabilizing is going to be done in my pressure pot with a 1" acrylic top

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I purchased a robinair 15500 but I didn't see that the fan housing was dented. Firing it up for the initial test caused it to eat the fan so it's got to go back.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180519-212319.jpg
    Screenshot_20180519-212319.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 208
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomtedesco

Depending on your altitude the pump will pull just so much vacuum. I don't think it will cause harm to your system any more than a smaller unit possibly would. Have a nice drive.

Jeremymc98

It shouldn't hurt anything as you can only pull so many inches of mercury anyway. Most likely you'll just get to your max vac really quick. I'd watch the first time for rapid foaming / air pull from the wood and allow yourself a few extra inches to prevent spills

mdburn_em

Thanks for the responses.

That's pretty much what I was thinking.

I shouldn't have a problem pulling max vacuum. During hurricane season, I worry about being a little too literally at sea level...

More4dan

Bigger just means more volume and faster to vacuum. No concerns. I have a small needle valve bleed on my vacuum chamber so I can slowly close it while pulling a vacuum to control foaming.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom