Take off air pipe in pot?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bushwacked

I want to build a multi level casting stand for my pot but I need to take the 8" pipe off the pot. If it matters I have a harbor freight pot.

My questions...
1) do most people take this off?
2) is it safe?
3) do most people build a multi level setup to get more casting in?

Thanks! :good:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Don Rabchenuk

The pipe on my pot (from H.F.) was screwed in with thread sealant. It took a bit of effort but I was able to remove it. In it's place I screwed an elbow to keep incoming air from blowing directly onto the molds.

bushwacked

The pipe on my pot (from H.F.) was screwed in with thread sealant. It took a bit of effort but I was able to remove it. In it's place I screwed an elbow to keep incoming air from blowing directly onto the molds.

Ya on mine it looks like a lot of teflon tape, possibly thread sealant... not sure, but I see the white teflon tape hanging out.

If you can, completely remove it.

Ok, will do.

Any tips on getting it out easier? Or basically struggle through it?

eharri446

I just clamped onto it with a pair of vise grips and turned it out. You will have to plug it from the outside using a 3/8 brass plug.

JohnU

I've removed them from a dozen or more with a wrench. A few were harder than others but they all came out. It's just an aluminum pipe. I've kept them to turn pens from but haven't gotten around to finished one yet. I also put an elbo to direct the air to the side and not straight down. Don't know if it matters or not. Never tried casting without it.

Last edited:

bushwacked

94d0e3f5-f894-4a58-b674-8f8fb1b5c286_400.jpg

as far as the elbow mentioned ... is it something basic like this? that is a 90, should I look for a 45 to help airflow a little or does it even matter?

Top Bottom