Suggestions for casting/stabilizing kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DigBaddy72

With my shop shut down for the winter, I was thinking of getting into casting my own blanks. I thought there were some threads here about what is needed/recommended for setting up a casting process without breaking the bank (I'm looking to spend under $300 if possible).

Using the search here has resulted in more threads about casting certain materials but not enough about what is suggested/recommended to get started.

I am wondering if anyone can guide me in looking at kits at PSI or Exotic Blanks, or elsewhere if need be (does Amazon have them? searching there for casting brought up fishing reels...)

I'm also wondering if this is something I can do in my basement without poisoning the air in my house. I thought I read somewhere that the off-gassing of some resins is pretty harsh.

Thanks for any help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KCW

With my shop shut down for the winter, I was thinking of getting into casting my own blanks. I thought there were some threads here about what is needed/recommended for setting up a casting process without breaking the bank (I'm looking to spend under $300 if possible).

Using the search here has resulted in more threads about casting certain materials but not enough about what is suggested/recommended to get started.

I am wondering if anyone can guide me in looking at kits at PSI or Exotic Blanks, or elsewhere if need be (does Amazon have them? searching there for casting brought up fishing reels...)

I'm also wondering if this is something I can do in my basement without poisoning the air in my house. I thought I read somewhere that the off-gassing of some resins is pretty harsh.

Thanks for any help!

The cheapest way to start is with PR (polyester resin). I will say that you will not want to do this in your basement though, PR is some stinky stuff. If you have to do it in your basement, then Alumilite is going to be your best bet, but it will be more expensive to get going. With PR, all you need is the resin, some pigment, a mold, some paper cups for mixing, something to stir with, and you are set. With Alumilite, you will need a pressure pot, and a scale to weigh it up, along with the other stuff I mentioned (plastic cups rather than paper probably). You will probably get a bunch of opinions about what resin to use, but I use PR for my blanks.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
There is little or no crossover between stabilizing (vacuum) and casting (pressure).

Stabilizing is safer and has no noticable odor. It is done in a vacuum chamber, and you can add excitement by going into dying while you stabilize, even two or more color dying!! You will be using mostly wood (maybe pine cones, cholla cactus and other fibrous implants).

With casting, yes polyresin has a distinct odor. Dawn and I were lucky, we don't mind it, so we cast in the kitchen. Most people would differ, so be prepared to be exiled from your domicile, including the garage, if attached or she has a car in it.

Alumilite is far more "lady-of-the-home" friendly.

Either can be used to make very nice colorful blanks (you will have LOTS of waste before you are successful) or clear cast (will make color casting look simple, by comparison, waste is much higher and NEVER drops to zero).

So that is a short explanation---you CAN get the materials inside your $300 budget, but casting will take a couple gallons before you get consistent results, so add that to your initial cost. Stabilizing? Your first "batch" can turn out great--dying adds more challenge, but even bad blanks can be made into pens--SOMEONE will like them!!

efrulla

I started casting with Alumilite and have never even bothered with PR. You will need a pressure pot and a scale both are well within your budget. I made the mistake of buying the one gallon set of Alumilite and if I had it to do over again I would buy it in quarts. The Clear B side can go bad in 90 days if you do not use it up and when you are learning and playing around you more than likely are not going to use a gallon. Buying by the quart will also keep you initial cost down. For how to use the stuff and how to make molds etc visit Zack at Arizona Wood Works and Curtis at TurnTex whose videos can be found on You Tube. Good luck, enjoy, have fun and be prepared for some failures. It is called learning.

le_skieur

I cast with PR in my basement. Yes there is an odor but it's not so bad. I keep my shop well ventilated and wear a mask. My wife is fussy and never complained. Beleve me, if the odor were so bad, I Would be not able to cast in the basement.

Last edited:

low_48

I cast with PR in my basement. Yes there is an odor but it's not so bad. I keep my shop well ventilated and wear a mask. My wife is fussy and never complained. Beleve me, if the odor were so bad, I Would be not able to cast in the basement.

I believe the consideration of casting in your basement is about health and not really smell. Please read the MSDS and consider what you are doing to your body. Your choice of course.

le_skieur

I believe the consideration of casting in your basement is about health and not really smell. Please read the MSDS and consider what you are doing to your body. Your choice of course.

That's why I keep my shop well ventilated and wear a cartrige mask!

Top Bottom