Starting to dye and stabilize and could use some guidance - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Blank Making > Casting & Stabilization
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casting & Stabilization Making your own blanks & stabilizing wood blanks.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Question Starting to dye and stabilize and could use some guidance

I'm going to be dyeing and stabilizing wood myself later today as soon as UPS shows up with my resin order and could use some guidance on dye to resin ratios. Using Cactus Juice resin and alumilite dye, trying for a nice mid to dark blue in Hemlock wood (Pine/Fir type wood)

Any advice on a good starting point for dye to resin mix to start with or guidance on how to go about figuring it out?

Thanks in advance!
Schroedc is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Head Moderator

Photos: 18

The thing to remember is that each species of wood will dye differently than the next. It all has to do with the concentration of resin you are able to get into the wood. Myself, I don't try to count drops or anything like that. I simply start with a quantity that I think will be enough to do the blanks I want to do. I then start adding dye and stirring. I add enough dye that, for blue, it looks black when I look into it. Keep in mind that your dyed Juice needs to be much darker than the finished blank. I then run a small test batch to completion and cut one blank down the center to see what the color looks like. If it is too dark, I add some virgin Juice. If it is not dark enough, I add more dye.

I am sorry I don't know of a better way to get more precise results but it is just impossible since each takes things differently. For example, spalted Pecan, which I can usually triple in weight, will take a less concentrated mix than hard maple.

The original, affordable home stabilizing solution!
Now available exclusively from TurnTex...Alumilite Clear and White in 1 gallon kits (1/2 Gal A&B)
www.TurnTex.com
MesquiteMan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Location: Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon Lake,Texas
Photos: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesquiteMan View Post
For example, spalted Pecan, which I can usually triple in weight
Great to know I got a slab from someone recently.. Maybe I should send it home with Jim so he can use his juice up fast lol
mywoodshopca is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads